Dr Pavlis water - no flavour, no aftertaste? - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
pcrussell50

#11: Post by pcrussell50 »

Remember, we're not mixing lifesaving drugs here that have to be to the exact millligram. All you need is enough that your machine's water level sensors don't go haywire from too little conductivity, and that the water isn't so hungry for some solids that it starts attacking the brass and copper.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

Espressoman007 wrote:t says 25 g of Pb to 500 ml of water, so then it would be 5 g to 100 ml of water. I thought my concentrate is double that (10 g to 100 ml), not the water mixture, right?
Yes, your concentrate is twice as concentrated as Hughie's. He uses 2 ml per liter of distilled so to come out the same you only need 1 ml per liter. That would be 5 ml per 5 liters. You said you use 6 ml per 5 liters, so you come out 20% higher - for practical purposes about the same and on a well calibrated TDS meter (with a factor of .5) might read about 70 ppm.

pcrussell50 wrote: . . . and that the water isn't so hungry for some solids that it starts attacking the brass and copper.
That's an illustrative way of viewing it. I think it's perhaps more conventional to say that the water should have some minimum level of alkalinity, which is a measure of the acid buffering capacity of the water. For natural water, the conventional wisdom (from SCA and others) is that it should have an alkalinity of at least 40 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent. The full strength rpavlis water has an alkalinity of 50 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent. For this particular water recipe even if you go down to half strength (50 mg/L KHCO3, which is an alkalinity of only 25 mg/L) you still should be fine. That's more than you need for the water level sensors, and since the water is completely free of chlorides or sulfates it should be non-corrosive despite that lower than typically recommended alkalinity.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#13: Post by IMAWriter »

FWIW, (maybe not much by now) but I make a 10% solution...very strictly...and syringe exactly 4.0 grams/ml in r liters of distilled/RO water...I actually use a gallon jug and make it 4.3 ml, which of course measures 40ppm hardness. The water itself isn't so great straight, especially if you're used to spring water, brita, etc...but then again, your tongue is not a coffee bean being drenched at 94-95c! That's a LOT of substances leeching out into that water. In suppose there would be no harm in going to 5ml per gallon, but why?