Dilution Calculator

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
gabeholloway
Supporter

#1: Post by gabeholloway »

As my head is swimming in numbers and posts, I needed a double check on my solution and stumbled upon this handy dilution calculator. It could be helpful if you're like me and need a lot of confirmation before pouring into your machine.

https://www.physiologyweb.com/calculato ... olume.html

- Gabe

Pizzaandspro

#2: Post by Pizzaandspro »

I still can't figure it out. I just want to know how much baking soda/potassium and epsom salt to put in a distilled litre walter bottle by grams and how much of the solution to add to a gallon of distilled water. I can't find it spelled out easy.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

For recipes based on 1 liter concentrate bottles, and using sodium bicarbonate for alkalinity and Epsom salt for hardness, I think you'll find it spelled out pretty clearly in Matt Perger's Barista Hustle blog: https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy- ... pes-redux/

It tells you how to make two separate 1 liter bottles of concentrate. One for alkalinity and another for hardness, both at 1 mg/ml (CaCO3 equivalent). If you want to skip the hardness concentrate (which is magnesium cation for hardness, accompanied by an equivalent amount of sulfate anion) you can just use the bicarbonate concentrate. 190 ml of that in a gallon of water would give you a nice 50 mg/l alkalinity in CaCO3 equivalent. That is a popular non-scaling and non-corrosive water option for use in espresso machines.

If you want to use potassium bicarbonate for your alkalinity (buffer), then instead of adding the 1.68 g of baking soda you would add 2.0 g of potassium bicarbonate to your 1 liter concentrate bottle. That would give you the same 1 mg/ml in terms of CaCO3 equivalents.

Perger's recipes are for making one liter of brewing water, but since you know that a US gallon contains about 3.8 liters you can adjust by multiplying the amount of "buffer" and "Mg" in those recipes by 3.8. Beware that these recipes are for experimenting with regular coffee brew water, and the harder ones may not be appropriate for use in an espresso machine.

P.S.
Don't let that "CaCO3 equivalent" measure confuse or intimidate you. It's just an easy and conventional way of quantifying both hardness and alkalinity in terms that relate to the chemical effect of their presence in the water.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Pizzaandspro

#4: Post by Pizzaandspro »

Thank you!

hangry_barista

#5: Post by hangry_barista »

hi Pat

maybe you can shine a light...

i've just been reading the barista hustle post, and watching various videos... one thing i cant seem to find an answer for, is why do so many recipes call for sodium bicarb and magnesium sulfate, vs rpavlis water simply using potassium bicarbonate?

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

hangry_barista wrote:why do so many recipes call for sodium bicarb and magnesium sulfate, vs rpavlis water simply using potassium bicarbonate?
Mostly because sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (Epsom salt) are so familiar and readily available. They get the job done for adding bicarbonate buffer and for adding magnesium hardness. They are both very soluble, and unless you use a lot, the sodium and the sulfate are probably not an issue.

Some people believe you need divalent cation (calcium or magnesium) for tasty extractions, and using magnesium rather than calcium makes the water less prone to scale problems. Using calcium chloride or magnesium chloride as a source of soluble hardness minerals is not advised for espresso machines because of the corrosion risk from chloride. Sulfate is also potentially corrosive but not nearly as bad as chloride, so you tend to see magnesium sulfate in recipes that include a soluble hardness mineral. In natural water you get both your alkalinity and your hardness primarily from calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate, but using those in a water recipe is problematic because neither of them are very soluble.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h