Diluting Third Wave Water (espresso profile)

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
coffeemerchant

#1: Post by coffeemerchant »

Does anyone use a portion of a TWW espresso profile sachet, as opposed to a full dose (as per TWW's instructions)?

I'm currently using the 5 gallon sachets at full dose, as per TWW instructions, and have been trying to play around with my water recipe, as my espressos have not tasted great recently. This was despite a myriad of coffees, recipes and profiles - all the same general, unsatisfying results. The only thing that's stayed the same - and where I think the problem may lie - was the water. Was seeking any insight as to whether using a portion of a TWW sachet might work... without compromising boiler health.

I enjoy light roasts very much, where the coffee has a bit of zip, sweetness + tartness. The results I've had so far has been frustrating - often that of muted acidity, a low sweetness where you cannot discern exactly what it tastes like, and a harsh undertone/finish that has something of an unnatural chemical taste to it.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated - TWW or otherwise!

I have been looking into the "Hendon" recipe, as it seems like a good starting point for espresso, but not too sure about its long-term use in the context of boiler health.
60 percent of the time, it works every time.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

coffeemerchant wrote:Was seeking any insight as to whether using a portion of a TWW sachet might work... without compromising boiler health.
TWW is already a little low in bicarbonate alkalinity per most recommendations, and of course diluting it would make it lower still, so that might be a concern with respect to corrosion avoidance.

coffeemerchant wrote:I have been looking into the "Hendon" recipe, as it seems like a good starting point for espresso, but not too sure about its long-term use in the context of boiler health.
If you are planning on experimenting with the Barista Hustle two-bottle recipes ( https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy- ... pes-redux/ ) I think a better starting point for espresso might be the one called Budapest. Keep the alkalinity and play with reducing the magnesium hardness. These recipes (and also the TWW water) use magnesium sulfate as a convenient soluble hardness mineral. It's possible that your taste is sensitive to that sulfate, so it might be useful to drop the amount of the magnesium sulfate solution. You don't need it at all for machine health and many people on this site prefer a water recipe that has no hardness at all: ( Poll: What DIY Water Recipes Do You Use for Espresso? )
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h