Compact Water Filter and Softener

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Dburns

#1: Post by Dburns »

Does anyone know of / recommend a water softener/filter combo that is compact? I am currently looking to either place my espresso machine on a pump system, but I am left wondering if there is something I have not heard of/considered on the filter plumb side of things. I have listed my Slayerfot sale, but if I find a good option in the mean time... ;-) The height I have to work with is 18 inches.. and that's floor to ceiling of the cabinet. I had previously used an Everpur Iso7 unit and it was great, but the cartridge is 21 inches. Appreciate any feedback from other users, I have gotten some good solid recommendations on the pump configurations already from fellow Slayer owners.

CaptainAhab

#2: Post by CaptainAhab »

I have been using a Homeland HCWS system from Clive for the last 18 months that has been pretty good:

https://clivecoffee.com/products/water- ... essentials

Fits easily under cabinet and filter is reasonably easy to change. The one mistake I made was sharing this for an in-sink dedicated filtered tap, WOW my family drinks a lot of water so I burn through these filters a lot sooner than the 6 month recommended change time. Also I live in North County San Diego and our water is crazy hard so that is certainly burning filters faster.

Regardless I'd recommend the set-up, its small , easy to install, has a super high flow rate and above all WORKS!
ribbon of darkness over me

Advertisement
John P

#3: Post by John P »

John Piquet
Salt Lake City, UT
caffedbolla.com

c1rca

#4: Post by c1rca replying to John P »

Is this a better solution to the Clive's coffee one?

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

c1rca wrote: ... Is this a better solution ...
I'm not John, but the best solution will always depend on what is 'wrong' with the incoming water.

In the case of the OP, Devin said he had good results with an "an Everpur Iso7 unit" but that was too tall for his cabinet space. I'm sure meant a Pentair/Everpure ESO7. The online specs available on this filter aren't clear, but judging from this post by Roy Parker at Everpure : Everpure ESO this appears to be a buffered decarbonizing filter with a small fixed bypass. To get a shorter version of the same thing I think Devin would want to look into the ESO6.

The Everpure Claris filter that John P. pointed out is similar - decarbonizing resin (which will reduce hardness and alkalinity by an equal amount) but will also fit in a short cabinet space and has the added advantage of an adjustable bypass head, so you have some control of the hardness and alkalinity of the filtered water.

Decarbonizing (aka WAC resin) filters may not be a good idea if your water has chloride and/or low alkalinity. (per /downloads/ ... pdated.pdf )

The Clive coffee Homeland filter is a conventional softener - it replaces magnesium and calcium hardness minerals with sodium much like a conventional rechargeable salt-based water softener would. Conventional softening is sometimes a better choice because it will not reduce alkalinity, and is a method that has been used successfully in commercial coffee equipment for decades. For the OP, that Clive filter wouldn't help much because it is taller than 18".
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

c1rca

#6: Post by c1rca »

Ah ok You (or your friend John) were responding to OP I was just confused! I was quite interested in what Captainahab had to say about his filter, I also have very similar water to his. I thought you guys were responding to him :) my bad. :lol: I just purchased that Homeland filler for my new setup that's on the way! I really wanted to plumb it in right away instead of hauling Crystal Geyser over and over :) I'll be testing the water see how everything turns out. Captainahab seems to like it so that's pretty promising ( my family also drinks a crap load of water) thanks for the quick response though!!