Commercial water and testing recommendations

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
JULIA
Posts: 6
Joined: 3 months ago

#1: Post by JULIA »

What commercial water for espresso machines, or what testing strip to use?

radioradio
Posts: 54
Joined: 2 years ago

#2: Post by radioradio »

I've been using Third Wave Water for about a year or so for pour over so I'm using the same in my new espresso machine. They say it eliminates scale.
I buy 5 gal bottles of distilled water and add the cachet from TWW. Works great so far.

User avatar
homeburrero
Team HB
Posts: 4886
Joined: 13 years ago

#3: Post by homeburrero »

For bottled water, in California, you can use Crystal Geyser if from either of the two California sources, the Mt Shasta (Weed) source or the Olancha Peak source. The Weed source is the softer of the two and should be reliably non-scaling. Even in California you might get a Crystal Geyser from a different source, some of which are not acceptable for espresso machine use, so always check the label on the bottle.

Test strips are inadequate. What most people use for inexpensive and easy hardness and alkalinity tests are the GH & KH drop titration kits from API Fishcare. Available in pet stores and online. For chloride ion tests it's more difficult - see The skinny on chloride water testing .
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

JULIA (original poster)
Posts: 6
Joined: 3 months ago

#4: Post by JULIA (original poster) »

Thank you. I got the drop test

razor488
Posts: 77
Joined: 4 years ago

#5: Post by razor488 »

homeburrero wrote:For bottled water, in California, you can use Crystal Geyser if from either of the two California sources, the Mt Shasta (Weed) source or the Olancha Peak source. The Weed source is the softer of the two and should be reliably non-scaling. Even in California you might get a Crystal Geyser from a different source, some of which are not acceptable for espresso machine use, so always check the label on the bottle.

Test strips are inadequate. What most people use for inexpensive and easy hardness and alkalinity tests are the GH & KH drop titration kits from API Fishcare. Available in pet stores and online. For chloride ion tests it's more difficult - see The skinny on chloride water testing .
La Marzocco told me I could use Crystal Geyser from California or South Carolina Only. Unfortunately, they only sell water sourced in Arkansas near me. I compared the water report for their California and Arkansas spring and they appear to be similar. Can I dilute their Arkansas water with distilled to achieve good parameters?

User avatar
homeburrero
Team HB
Posts: 4886
Joined: 13 years ago

#6: Post by homeburrero replying to razor488 »

Here's a very nice table that Eric Svendson put together a few years back that shows all the CG waters in one table:


You can get the latest reports for each source from this page: https://www.crystalgeyserplease.com/contact, which is in close agreement with the numbers in Eric's table.

That Arkansas water is really nice clean water, but with a calcium hardness of 87 mg/L as CaCO3 and an alkalinity of 86 mg/L as CaCO3 it is a little scale prone -- OK provided you are prepared to occasionally descale over the years. You could dilute that water 50:50 with purified and have an excellent water with little or no limescale accumulation risk

P.S.
The GH (total hardness) for that Arkansas water is 92 mg/L as CaCO3, and the conductivity is 180 uS/cm -- it would read about 90 ppm on a typical inexpensive (NaCl calibrated) TDS conductivity meter.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

razor488
Posts: 77
Joined: 4 years ago

#7: Post by razor488 »

Thank you for this. Would I be OK diluting 1:2 with distilled? I was thinking about mixing 1 gallon of distilled with two gallons of Arkansas crystal geyser

User avatar
homeburrero
Team HB
Posts: 4886
Joined: 13 years ago

#8: Post by homeburrero »

razor488 wrote:Thank you for this. Would I be OK diluting 1:2 with distilled? I was thinking about mixing 1 gallon of distilled with two gallons of Arkansas crystal geyser
Yes, that would work with this water. You would end up with a GH:KH in the 30:30 ballpark. Reliably non-scaling and similar to the soft water in Seattle, Oslo, etc.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

razor488
Posts: 77
Joined: 4 years ago

#9: Post by razor488 replying to homeburrero »

I ended up diluting 1:1 with Arkansas Crystal Geyser and distilled because the container I bought is ~2 gallons. I am getting a reading of 50PPM. Do you think this is acceptable?

Thanks

User avatar
homeburrero
Team HB
Posts: 4886
Joined: 13 years ago

#10: Post by homeburrero »

razor488 wrote:I ended up diluting 1:1 with Arkansas Crystal Geyser and distilled because the container I bought is ~2 gallons. I am getting a reading of 50PPM. Do you think this is acceptable?
Yes, sounds just about right for a 1:1 dilution of that Norman AR Crystal Geyser. If read with a typical (NaCl calibrated) TDS meter at 25 ℃, that dilution should read about 45 ppm. And would be a very acceptable water with an alkalinity and a calcium hardness each in the 45 mg/L as CaCO3 ballpark.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h