Calibration for a reverse osmosis water system - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
razor488 (original poster)

#11: Post by razor488 (original poster) »

Rather than install an after tank filter, can I just mix in tap water until I get a TDS of around 50? At TDS 50 my water is still pretty soft. (30mg/l). If this is advisable, how difficult is it to run a tap water line into the RO tank and get the mix correct?

Thanks

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

razor488 wrote:Rather than install an after tank filter, can I just mix in tap water until I get a TDS of around 50?
That strategy is available on high-end systems, and some people have done it on undersink home systems with DIY needle valves. I'll leave it to others as to advising how difficult it is to do that. (Here's one post- Water filtration recommendation for new setup )

But before deciding to do that it's important to know what is in your tap water. If the water has a high chloride level (bad stuff) in relation to the alkalinity, then you do not want to use it to blend back minerals.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#13: Post by razor488 (original poster) »

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

Given the numbers in that ^^^^ report:

Conductivity 403-472 umhos/cm
Hardness 138 - 178 ppm CaCO3 equivalent
Alkalinity 128 - 150 ppm CaCO3 equivalent
Chloride ion 19.5 - 35.1 ppm

Yes, you could use a blending system. If you don't remineralize and instead blend so that an inexpensive TDS meter shows about 65 ppm (130 umhos/cm) it would give you water with:

hardness ~ 46 ppm CaCO3 equivalent
alkalinity ~ 41 ppm CaCO3 equivalent
chloride ion ~ 6 ppm

Calcium hardness would be below about 40 ppm and it should not cause scaling issues.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#15: Post by razor488 (original poster) »

Thank you!