BWT Premium with RO water? - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Ad-85

#11: Post by Ad-85 »

Thank for the reply. I think I'll use RO water from under the sink and add the bestmin premium just to avoid distilling water (no distiller water sold in my small town). Where to add the bestmin premium in that carboy system? Before the accumulator?
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Transporter

#12: Post by Transporter »

I recommend using spring water and avoid using RO unless you introduce remilitarization in the post-process. Using only RO water is counterproductive since you may not get scaling from removing the minerals the process results in more corrosion occurring from the lack of minerals in the water. If you do use RO, then use a filter like BWT bestmin PREMIUM that is designed as a post remineralize for RO systems.

It might be a good idea to test your water and gauge the actual numbers.

Hope that helps.

Here is my old setup

Transporter

#13: Post by Transporter »

Ad-85 wrote:Thank for the reply. I think I'll use RO water from under the sink and add the bestmin premium just to avoid distilling water (no distiller water sold in my small town). Where to add the bestmin premium in that carboy system? Before the accumulator?
I would check if your pump has adequate pressure in both pull and push configurations to determine the optimal direction to set up the system. Unless your water is terrible, it will not make a substantial difference, and having the accumulator pressurized to the correct PSI will help you attain sustained pressure on the line.

I set up my accumulator tank pressure to 50 PSI since my line was split between the rinse station and the other going to the BWT filtration system. I installed a pressure regulator for the rinse station since its optimal range was 30-35 and another regulator post filter to control the output pressure to the espresso machine.

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

Ad-85 wrote:Where to add the bestmin premium in that carboy system? Before the accumulator?
The bestmin includes particulates filter and charcoal, so the typical setup would be on the line from the accumulator to the espresso machine. That would allow the charcoal to remove any off-tastes you might get from the accumulator.

We have seen reports on this site that it can be a little spiky -- high mineral delivered from the cartridge after a period where water has been in the filter for a long time. That would argue for putting it on the end of the RO unit that you use to fill your carboy. Then you could use a standard particles and charcoal finishing filter in the line between your accumulator and the machine if needed to handle off tastes from the accumulator.

See Remineralization water filter placement question
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Ad-85

#15: Post by Ad-85 »

Carboy: Tank > shut off > one way valve > shut off > pump > shut off > BWT Bestmin Premium > shut off > accumulator > shut off > BWT besttaste > shut off > 2 way valve > espresso machine + water supply for filter coffee

Which parts to buy especially the water hoses :oops:

I'll but the system you suggested or this one for under the sink https://www.freshwatersystems.com/produ ... sis-system

Anything to change? Thanks for the suggestions
Many thanks @Transporter for the help. I have an expensive commercial machine coming soon and that's why I'm stressing :mrgreen:
LMWDB #691

Transporter

#16: Post by Transporter replying to Ad-85 »

I would test your water first to understand what you actually need. You can also look at the Everpure system with cartridges for the espresso machines. They make some great systems that are generally used in most Starbucks stores. The system will really depend on your water quality which is why you should test your water and get a system that matches your specific needs. I live in an area that has over 400 PPM and the water is really hard which means that I will have to run a multistage system to achieve optimal levels. Just make sure that you are not only using RO water since the minerals are removed it will make the water more corrosive. It's more about finding a balance where you have the right amount of minerals exist for taste and mechanisms that counter the scale problems.

homeburrero
Team HB

#17: Post by homeburrero »

@Ad-85, I think you are saying that you have, or plan to get, an undersink RO unit, and somewhere away from that sink want to have a coffee cart system (flojet-like with tank, pump, and accumulator), and are considering a BWT Bestmin remineralization cartridge to get your RO water acceptable.

In my previous post I mentioned two ways I think you could do that. But I still think that if it were me I would fill the tank or bottle from my unsersink RO, then remineralize it with salts before hooking it into my espresso cart system -- no remin cartridge involved and I'd always get the mineral I want. I would simply use 0.1 gram of potassium bicarbonate per each liter of RO (i.e., about 2 gram in a 20 liter carboy) to get me near ideal alkalinity for good espresso and a healthy non-corrosive non-scaling espresso machine. Since the water in the carboy is not chlorinated I would not need a charcoal filter in the cart system, but might use one if needed to deal with off-tastes from the accumulator. If I wanted to experiment with adding hardness minerals for taste reasons, that would be easy to do in a very controlled way. (e.g, about 2 gram of Epsom salt in a 20 liter carboy would give me 40 mg/L (CaCO3 equivalent) of non-scaling magnesium hardness.)
Pat

Ad-85

#18: Post by Ad-85 »

I just tested my tap water
TDS: 151 ppm
Ph: 9
Salt: 0.10 ppt

I have the PCSTestr 35 Tester
LMWDB #691

Ad-85

#19: Post by Ad-85 »

Now that's interesting! And cheaper than BWT. But the BWT is a hassle free routine and that's why I like it! Just fill the tank and make espresso
LMWDB #691

homeburrero
Team HB

#20: Post by homeburrero »

Ad-85 wrote:I just tested my tap water
TDS: 151 ppm
Ph: 9
Salt: 0.10 ppt

I have the PCSTestr 35 Tester
That does not tell you nearly enough. You may or may not need the serious RO treatment you are considering. Were you told by a local coffee shop or local water expert that you need RO treatment? To decide about that you ideally want numbers for hardness, alkalinity, and most importantly the chloride ion (chloride is not the same thing as chlorine) in your water.
Pat