BWT Limescale Protection Pad with Dr P water?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Tony163

#1: Post by Tony163 »

I use RO water and add an appropriate amount of potassium bicarbonate to my water to make a Dr P recipe. The TDS is usually about 18 before adding the potassium bicarbonate and about 100 afterwards.

Wondering if there would be any benefit if I used BWT limescale protection pads in my water tank? The machine is not plumbed I just mix the water and fill the tank every day or so.

Many thanks for your advice!

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Tony163 wrote:Wondering if there would be any benefit if I used BWT limescale protection pads in my water tank? The machine is not plumbed I just mix the water and fill the tank every day or so.
I see no benefit. The BWT Bestsave in-tank filter contains activated charcoal to help with chlorine, off tastes and odors, and also contains a weak acid cation (WAC) decarbonizing resin. The decarbonizer reduces the alkalinity as well as the hardness and tends to acidify the water a little, thus reducing the likelihood of scale. You don't need hardness reduction, and you would not want the decarbonization. It probably wouldn't do much anyway because it needs hardness minerals (Ca or Mg) to do that, and the RO has removed all but a trace of those.

The charcoal in this filter might help with off tastes and odors from the accumulator tank if your RO system lacks a finishing filter that already does that. If you use an in-tank filter you want to replace it every 6 months because it might tend to harbor microbes. So I think best to just not use it here.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Tony163 (original poster)

#3: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

Ok thank you very much. The shop that sold me my machine also sold me one of these so I wasn't sure whether to use it. I'll find somewhere else to use it eventually. Really appreciate the fullness of your reply!