BWT BestMax Premium - Water Taste Problem

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
michaelnichols

#1: Post by michaelnichols »

Just installed the BWT BestMax Premium to replace an older dual water filter system under the sink. Used for a filtered water dispenser as well as to pipe to my espresso machine and ice maker.

I have not tested water hardness but *wow* the water out of this tastes *terrible.* Does this need to run for a while to calibrate to taste? It's almost undrinkable. Have not run a shot with it but I cannot imagine this being only water that tastes good in coffee but not straight.

Suggestions?

kolu

#2: Post by kolu »

Have you properly flushed the thing? 10 liters for XL minimum... And do you have correctly set bypass?
It usually tastes OK.

Advertisement
Stanic

#3: Post by Stanic »

I've got the V and am very happy with it, no smell or taste, you probably need to flush it as suggested

michaelnichols (original poster)

#4: Post by michaelnichols (original poster) »

kolu wrote:Have you properly flushed the thing? 10 liters for XL minimum... And do you have correctly set bypass?
It usually tastes OK.
I will flush it more - I have the M. No bubbles any longer. I think the first water I tasted was before a full flush. I have updated the mineral removal / level of filtration.

What is a correctly set bypass?

kolu

#5: Post by kolu »

you have to set the bypass level on the besthead according to your general hardness.
also, flush have nothing to do with bubbles. there is specified minimum amount of water that has to be flushed out of the filter before use.
please refer to the instruction manual.

michaelnichols (original poster)

#6: Post by michaelnichols (original poster) »

In addition to the flush issue, I had to adjust the flow. It was moving through at 9 lbs vs. the recommended 1.5 - 2 per WLL install video. This has improved the taste but I'm surprised that it's notably inferior (as drinking water) to my old system. It's lost all "sweetness".

I never did a side by side using water from the old system and the new one in espresso so it's hard to judge that.