Brewing water + water filter

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Word_salad

#1: Post by Word_salad »

I have a suspicion this is a dumb question, which is maybe why I haven't found any previous posts.

I am planning to start brewing water using distilled water, epsom salt, and potassium bicarbonate to use in my Lelit Mara PL62-T. The machine came with a Lelit water softener, so

A.) Should I keep in the water softener that came with my machine?

B.) If I do keep it in how often should I replace it? The one I currently have is rated for 35L, will this change?

Thanks

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Word_salad wrote:A.) Should I keep in the water softener that came with my machine?
No. If you are formulating water from purified or distilled plus minerals then you control everything in it via the recipe and should have no reason to confuse the issue with filtration and softening. You might want a mesh filter at the end of the intake hose in case you somehow drop particles into the tank.
Word_salad wrote:B.) If I do keep it in how often should I replace it? The one I currently have is rated for 35L, will this change?
They last longer (or go longer between recharges) when using softer water but should be kept no longer than 6 months at the most. That max is partly to prevent issues with microorganisms that might grow in the filter.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Word_salad (original poster)

#3: Post by Word_salad (original poster) »

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying. I was pretty sure the filter would be redundant, but I didn't want to make any easily avoidable mistakes. I'll be sure to get a mesh as well.