Breville BES920XL water filter needed

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Jebez

#1: Post by Jebez »

I purchased a Breville BES 920XL in May 2018 that uses a new style cone-shaped water filter.
It's time for a new filter, but to my knowledge, Breville still has not made it available on their site.
Any assistance in helping me to locate a replacement filter is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Prescott CR

#2: Post by Prescott CR »

You can filter the water before it goes in the tank, use a Brita or whatever.

If you check eBay you'll find a lot of knock-off filters. Probably better than nothing, but no quarentee they're doing the same thing as the Breville. Looks like Bedbathandbeyond.com has them.

Still, it's a LOT less expensive to use a Brita or something else. You can even get a 10" cartridge filter for your cold water that has a scale inhibitor & does taste & odor.
-Richard

Advertisement
Jebez (original poster)

#3: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

[quote="Prescott CR"]You can filter the water before it goes in the tank, use a Brita or whatever.

If you check eBay you'll find a lot of knock-off filters. Probably better than nothing, but no quarentee they're doing the same thing as the Breville. Looks like Bedbathandbeyond.com has them.

Still, it's a LOT less expensive to use a Brita or something else. You can even get a 10" cartridge filter for your cold water that has a scale inhibitor & does taste & odor.≈

Thank you Richard for your reply and really useful suggestion. I hadn't even considered a pitcher-type water filter like the Brita. That might be the best solution until I can get this sorted out with Breville. I can't fathom why they would incorporate a new style filter for their machines and not make them available for sale.

"You can even get a 10" cartridge filter for your cold water that has a scale inhibitor & does taste & odor"

I'm not certain as to what that is. Would you please elaborate the type of filter to which you referred?
Thank you again!

JayBeck

#4: Post by JayBeck »

Not sure why the official ones wouldn't work:

https://www.breville.com/us/en/parts-ac ... 100na.html

Prescott CR

#5: Post by Prescott CR »

Jay- those will work but when you add them to cart there's a 'sold out' message.

The set up I'm using (mind you, it works for my water but that's not everyone's water) is this-

https://order.gamurdock.com/twist-tap-2 ... hate-q5686

I put that on the cold water line under my sink so I have drinking / espresso machine water coming out of the tap. I'm sure it's not PERFECT espresso water but it works well for me and keeps the scale out of my machine.
-Richard

Bret

#6: Post by Bret »

Amazon has lots of options for these filters: third party option that are less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ank+filter

Jebez (original poster)

#7: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

They aren't just sold out. To my knowledge, they've never had them in stock. Certainly not since I purchased the BES920XL back in May. Very odd, and extremely frustrating.

Advertisement
Jebez (original poster)

#8: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

Bret wrote:Amazon has lots of options for these filters: third party option that are less expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ank+filter
Thank you Bret, but all of the filters that Amazon has available are for the former type of filter that they used - not the new cone-shaped filters that they used in the Breville BES920XL.

Bret

#9: Post by Bret replying to Jebez »

Oh, I was going off the 'official" one link from the Breville site posted just above, which you said would work but are out of stock. Not familiar with any other kind.

Bob 99

#10: Post by Bob 99 »

As of today 10-16-18, Breville.com can sell up to 3 of the new version (taller, conical, plastic) fiter for the dual boiler.
But the chat fellow also says that the new dual boiler water tank will fit the old style filter cage, thus one can use the older filters.
He says the new filters are better (I didn't ask why); but they cost about 10* as much to use as the older filter packs at Amazon.
So I'm going to buy just the older style plastic cage for $9, and keep using the older style filters.