Bestmax premium foul water smell and taste

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Mochi

#1: Post by Mochi »

Ive had my bestmax premium filter for several weeks now and my water coning through has a very strong plasticy chlorine smell. I assume its something the city treats our water with and im pretty surprised the bestmax doesnt seem to be filtering it out. I also have an ro system for drinking water and it eliminates the smell. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts or similar experiences with the bwatmax. I hate to think i spent all this money and effort on this set up and its not delivering the expected results

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I'd suggest checking if your water supplier uses Chloramine for disinfection, as Chloramine needs a specific filter ("catalytic carbon") that isn't usually a part of water filtration systems.

RO systems typically do not have a catalytic carbon filter, but usually have a regular activated carbon filter that does work on Chloramine due to the very slow flow rate of RO systems.

Where I am the chloramine comes in every fall and lasts through to the spring. If I boil water with chloramine in it, then the sickly-sweet taste of plastic is just gross.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Mochi (original poster)

#3: Post by Mochi (original poster) »

Thank younfor the insight and yes my city does add chloramine per the city water test results. Do you have any recommendations as far as what i can useb(carbin filter?) in line with my bwt to remove the chloramine?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

I'm in Canada so suppliers are different - just make sure that the catalytic carbon filter is marketed to handle Chloramine. FX/Filtrex ChloraGuard seems to be a popular brand of Chloramine filter here.

The only concern that I've encountered is the under-counter catalytic carbon filter that I have - the usual 9.75" x 2.75" filter size - restricts flow. I've got a pressure tank (like the tank your RO system probably has) that I hope will keep the pressure up, but I haven't had a chance to install it yet.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Deephaven

#5: Post by Deephaven »

Easy to add a calcite filter post RO and then use that water as well.