Best "bulk" water option at Whole Foods

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Jesse.F

#1: Post by Jesse.F »

I was recently on the road with my espresso machine, and since I didn't know the water quality I just bought distilled water and used 3rd wave espresso minerals. In doing this I realize a gallon lasts me over a week, and as a result I think I'm going to just stick with doing it even at home. I was at whole foods today and saw they have a RO water dispenser.

I figured getting myself a glass jug and just filling it up here when doing groceries could help reduce plastic, but they have three different offerings (I never knew there was so much to water ha ha) they have Reverse osmosis, deionized, and high ph. Which of these would be the most appropriate for an espresso machine? Or should I just stick with the distilled?

Also, I only use the 3rd wave product because a sample came with my machine, but if there is a different mineral pack out there that you all are liking better, I'm all for trying new things

Thanks for the guidance

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Jesse.F wrote:Which of these would be the most appropriate for an espresso machine? Or should I just stick with the distilled?
The de-ionized is the way to go for use with mineral packs or in recipes. It's RO that has been further purified by ion exchange down to around one or two ppm. Perfectly good stand-in for a recipe calling for distilled, and is the same price as their RO. The RO has a small but not clearly specified amount of minerals. You certainly don't want the alkaline (high pH) water.

Jesse.F wrote:Also, I only use the 3rd wave product because a sample came with my machine, but if there is a different mineral pack out there that you all are liking better, I'm all for trying new things
The most popular espresso water recipe for folks on this site is purified water spiked simply with 100 mg/L potassium bicarbonate - the R Pavlis recipe:

Easiest way to make rpavlis water?
Poll: What DIY Water Recipes Do You Use for Espresso?
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h
★ Helpful

OtisJackson

#3: Post by OtisJackson »

I am on my own well. I bought a water cooler mostly for my coffee. I know there is plenty of topics about third wave water or making your own. I believe RO water is just fine for my personal taste. Calcium kills machines. Luckily around me there is very little calcium in the water. You can test this with trips from a place that sells fish. There was a night and day different in even the cheap drip coffee using bottled water vs my well.