Best bottled water for espresso machine - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
jpatrickramos

#11: Post by jpatrickramos »

charles.park94 wrote:Thanks everyone, I'll check the groceries nearby to see what kind of Crystal Geyser they have
FYI. If you have Trader Joe's close by, it's also CG Roxanne (i.e. Crystal Geyser).

Benefits to grocery store sourcing, one gallon bottles.
"Benefits" to Trader Joe's sourcing, 500ml, 1L, 1.5L bottles.

Usually about $1/gallon when you find it at the stores.

Best of luck!

charles.park94 (original poster)

#12: Post by charles.park94 (original poster) replying to jpatrickramos »

Perfect, I'll swing by the Trader Joe's nearby and look for it. Though not a difficult conversion, I suppose it's a nice "benefit" to have it in terms of liters when I have a Londinium

Advertisement
cerone

#13: Post by cerone »

I just picked up an empty 5 gallon jug and fill it up at my local glacier fill station. I add some mineral concentrate before taking it to get filled. Much cheaper than getting a few gallons at the store every visit.

ben8jam

#14: Post by ben8jam »

I tried out Olancha and cut it with some distilled water to bring the TDS down to about 100. I wasn't all that impressed though.

I hate to derail - because there are 10,000 pages of water posts on here. But I've been the most happy making my water. I've tried a lot of recipes, starting with Baking Power+Epsom salt. But to save you all the 100s of different ways to combine it, but best so far has been Pravils water recipe using Potassium Bicarbonate (which you can easily buy on amazon).

10g Potassium Bicarb dissolve into 100ml of distilled water.
Then add 4 to 6 ml to one whole gallon of distilled water. This results in about a 50-70 TDS.

It is SUPER simple and I've found it tastes the best.

You can also buy Third Wave water for espresso, which you'll find another thread on there about. They use Potassium bicrad, caclum citrate and magnesium (epsom salts). These are super simple packets you add to a gallon of DI water. But it's 100x more expensive then just making your own, especially if you use just plain Potassium bicarb.

Just a thought!

charles.park94 (original poster)

#15: Post by charles.park94 (original poster) replying to ben8jam »

I'll look up Pravil's method. I was looking to see if I can find a bottled water I can start with while I was looking at other options. Thanks

pcrussell50

#16: Post by pcrussell50 »

Have a read in the lever forums of rpavlis' posts. You can find them with the search function. He is a chemistry professor who knows a thing or two about how various water formulations interact (and or react) with common espresso machine metals. In a nutshell, he adds 100 or 200 mg of sodium or potassium bicarbonate (whichever you like the taste of), per gallon of distilled water. This is what I do in the brass boiler lever machine in our summer home for scale free operation and good taste. Peering into the boiler periodically reveals no scale and metal that looks like it is not being attacked.

If you need more tech on what is happening chemically and metallurgically, Dr. Pavlis delivers. Read up.

The reason I bring up making your own water as opposed to buying it is that from skimming this thread and similar ones, it sounds easier to me to just buy distilled and make my own.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

SilentDoom

#17: Post by SilentDoom »

I needed up having to go with Poland spring bc it was the only one with low enough hardness(in my area). It seems like if you're anywhere near the east side of the United States, that Crystal Geyser will be too hard. I've been wanting to read fully into making my own distilled water with a mineral concentration, but I've pushed it off

Advertisement
ben8jam

#18: Post by ben8jam replying to SilentDoom »

What's the calcium quantity in Poland spring? That's the part that'll get you. And it builds up over time.

Is descaling a GS3 something you are 'allowed' to do?

For making your own mix you can seriously just buy a bag of Potassium bicarbonate off Amazon. That's all you need.

You can also buy thirdwave water for espresso and pour into a gallon. Just a lot more expensive. Their espresso blend is Potassium bicarbonate, magniusm sulfate (epsom salts) and calcium citrate.

For some reason (when I went down the water rabbit hole) I rmemebr reading Poland spring was not good to use for both build up and taste. But can't find the threads any more

Sideshow

#19: Post by Sideshow »

Gerber Pure works well and is a popular choice. I have used it for about two years with great results.

F1

#20: Post by F1 replying to Sideshow »

No scale at all?

I tried Gerber Pure for a month and got significant scale build up. This happened after I discaled.