Any experience with electronic water descaling/softening systems?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
mchinnas

#1: Post by mchinnas »

Hi All,

I'm new to the home espresso hobby and really appreciate all the info from this board. Tried searching for this topic and couldn't find anything so creating a new post.

In preparation for my new espresso machine's arrival, I have been testing. my water and have a question. My water seems to be around 100ppm using test strips and 175 using a cheap $20 TDS meter. So not really that hard. However, I have had to clean out the filter in my shower head every few months so I assume it might be on the higher end here. So, I've gone down the rabbit hole of figuring out the best approach to soften my water. I've already tried to get a detailed water analysis from mu city with no luck. Seems like they really don't want folks to know! :roll:

I have seen systems advertised here in the US that use some sort of electronic means to change the water in the main line coming into the home. One site http://www.calmat-usa.com describes the method of action as "changing the crystallization process of the liquid calcium and this way the hard scale loses its adhesive power"

Has anyone used one of these? Would this be a viable alternative to softening and/or descaling? Could it affect the taste of my espresso?

Thanks!
MHC

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

1) Your water is just about perfect for coffee & espresso
2) Electronic softeners are a BS scam.
Jim Schulman

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

I agree with Jim. I bought a used car that had a pair of magnets on the fuel line. The two halves encircled a metal portion of the line. I took them off and got the same mileage as when they were attached. I have to assume that any electrical field would have to be pretty strong to cause any change in water considering how quickly it passes through the unit. On the other hand, if the flux capacitor can invoke time travel, who knows? :lol:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

funny to see that this sort of snake oil is very persistent, I'd expect that putting an (legal) end to it should prove easy enough.
LMWDP #483

mchinnas (original poster)

#5: Post by mchinnas (original poster) »

Thanks for input. I ordered the under sink unit from Clive and will pump it to a beverage faucet at my sink for my reservoir espresso machine.

I'm surprised about these electronic systems. The first time I saw it was on Costco.com which I would assume means they did some checking. Perhaps not.

MHC

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

resellers usually stop checking when profitability is good...Currently there is a campaign on a national TV show where I live...selling magnets as to control scale as if they are the next best thing after sliced bread.
LMWDP #483

slybarman

#7: Post by slybarman »

another_jim wrote: Electronic softeners are a BS scam.

Don't hold back man. How do you really feel about them? :lol: :lol:

PeetsFan

#8: Post by PeetsFan »

Randy G. wrote:I agree with Jim. I bought a used car that had a pair of magnets on the fuel line. The two halves encircled a metal portion of the line. I took them off and got the same mileage as when they were attached. I have to assume that any electrical field would have to be pretty strong to cause any change in water considering how quickly it passes through the unit. On the other hand, if the flux capacitor can invoke time travel, who knows? :lol:
Hi Randy!
I read your articles about the water filter/softener from Chris Coffee and I installed it. Seems to work fine so far, but here in Hillsboro, OR the municipal water is already very soft and maybe I don't need the softener at all, just the carbon filter.

PeetsFan

#9: Post by PeetsFan »

slybarman wrote: Don't hold back man. How do you really feel about them?
The people selling this stuff should be arrested. People are treating their water based on these claims. We protect expensive equipment based on their claims, and they're completely fabricated. Nowhere do they explain the science of what their product does.