Another post about reading my water report

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
vdublove37

#1: Post by vdublove37 »

Hello y'all,

I am looking into the last few things before my machine comes and I start this journey. At this point, I'd like to tackle the subject of water. I have my water report posted, and would like some feedback on what I need to do.

I will be getting a Cremina and I rent, so plumbing options are not on the table. However, if I can avoid making the pavlis water I would appreciate knowing. Or if there is a better and not much
more costly solution available.

I've linked the report here: https://www.columbus.gov/utilities/wate ... ction/CCR/

*I'm being served by the Hap Cremean Reservoir

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Peppersass »

The Hap Cremean hardness range is pretty-much ideal for espresso extraction, at least according to the conventional wisdom (70 ppm - 100 ppm.) If your water tends to the lower end of the range, you may not have scaling problems, but it depends on the alkalinity, which the report doesn't provide.

I suggest you start by reading Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ. That'll tell you just about everything you need to know about water for espresso machines.

Then, rather than relying on reports, get good-quality hardness and alkalinity kits and measure the water yourself. I prefer the Hach kits. This one is very accurate and reasonably priced. The Hach alkalinity kits are quite a bit more expensive, so if your budget is limited you can buy this much less expensive kit, albeit with a sacrifice in accuracy.

Use the FAQ and test results to determine if you need to soften your water or use bottled water in your espresso machine.

vdublove37 (original poster)

#3: Post by vdublove37 (original poster) »

Yeah, I'll check that out in more depth! I see at the top he says for the ease of it I can always use Crystal Geyser (or pavlis water), but it sounds like I might be lucky and be able to use tap with minimal added effort.

But I do have to ask, if I want to descale as little as possible and use Crystal Geyser, am I sacrificing a little or a lot in my espresso?

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Crystal Geyser has multiple sources, that differ markedly in minerals. Some are "non-scaling", others aren't. Even in the same store, I've seen both the "Weed" and "Olancha" sources on the same shelf.

Here's one reference to the CG sources -- Best bottled water for espresso machine

As to what you might be sacrificing compared to a home-brew recipe? A lot will depend on your coffee and tastes. It could be better or worse and it may be different for even different beans at the same roast level. My gut feeling is that any good water with reasonable mineral levels will get you to the "90% point". How much your time is worth to explore those last few tweaks compared to benefits that might include just the joy of trying new things comes down to a personal decision. There are mornings where any warm cup of coffee tastes delicious to me.
★ Helpful

vdublove37 (original poster)

#5: Post by vdublove37 (original poster) »

Point taken, it seems like it's completely up to me to control my water in order to control taste and scale. So rpavlis water sounds like the plan, at least to start.