Alkaline water from Randall's

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
iploya
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by iploya »

I have always used just Brita filtered water in my espresso machine but wanted to try one of the mineral additives like potassium bicarbonate to see if I can tell the difference. I ordered some Third Wave powder today, but in the meantime picked up this water from Randall's.

https://www.randalls.com/shop/product-d ... 92148.html

Is this anything like the other formulas people use for water? It at least include potassium bicarbonate.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

iploya wrote:Is this anything like the other formulas people use for water? It at least include potassium bicarbonate.

It's not at all like any recommended espresso water formulas. The main problem is that it is mineralized with chloride salts, and good espresso water formulas have zero chloride. The level of carbonate is not well specified, and the pH is above typical recommendations. In general, I think most of these waters that are marketed to appeal to the 'alkaline water' faddists should not be used for coffee, and especially not in an espresso machine.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

iploya (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Thanks, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Oh well, my Third Wave should be here soon and we can just keep this alkaline stuff around for drinking.