AJ Antunes HRS200 vs Profine Violet big 4.5

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Ad-85

#1: Post by Ad-85 »

Hi

My water specs are:

TDS 101
GH 62.65
KH 53.7
PH 8.7

I've contacted both companies and those are the filters they recommended

Which one should I get?
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Do you have any idea of the chloride ion level in your water?
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Ad-85 (original poster)

#3: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

21 ppm
LMWDB #691

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Both of those are decarbonizing filters, which reduce alkalinity as well as hardness and acidify the water (lower the pH) a little. The specs don't say much but they appear to be buffered so as not to acidify too much.

I can't tell if the Profine has an adjustable bypass head, so that may shift the decision toward a HRS200 with a BWT head. I think you'll want a high bypass with your water so that you keep a reasonably high alkalinity to help with chloride corrosion risk.

FWIW, if it were me I would not go with either of these, nor any decarbonizing filter. Your chloride is only slightly high, but still is above the 5-15 mg/L recommended by at least one manufacturer (Synesso). To reduce the chloride you'd need an RO system, but I think I'd just consider using a conventional softener like the BWT Bestprotect. It would lower your hardness to non-scaling levels and keep all that ~50 mg/L alkalinity which is near ideal. And it would not acidify your water. That will make your 21 mg/L chloride ion less of a corrosion concern.
Pat

Ad-85 (original poster)

#5: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

Hey homeburrero

As always your help is greatly appreciated

Isn't the PH too high? I thought PH goes up in the boiler. Perhaps I misunderstood that part when I was doing my research.

The reason I looked those 2 filters up even before reaching to both companies (without specifying them) was out of temporary hardness concern. BWT BestProtect looks interesting!

I like the idea of the filter you recommended! I'd like to keep the higher alkalinity. Otherwise coffee will be too acidic.

No harm in trying the filter first especially when I already got the head and it's cheaper than both risky filters.

Thanks
LMWDB #691

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

Ad-85 wrote:Isn't the PH too high? I thought PH goes up in the boiler
That's nothing to worry about and is not unusual for tapwater pH, which is often adjusted by a water utility to avoid corrosion in pipes. It will come down after exposure to air, and is hard to predict where it will be inside the heated boiler. To avoid this uncertainty when estimating limescale via LSI calculations it's probably best to just use the Puckourius pHeq that matches your alkalinity value. Here's a handy table from Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ:

Pat

Ad-85 (original poster)

#7: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

I just bought the BWT BestProtect

Waiting for it to arrive

Thanks homeburrero
LMWDB #691

Ad-85 (original poster)

#8: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

I just installed the BWT BestProtect filter and it gave me 17.9 GH and 9.7 PH

Not the right filter for me :(
LMWDB #691

Ad-85 (original poster)

#9: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:That's nothing to worry about and is not unusual for tapwater pH, which is often adjusted by a water utility to avoid corrosion in pipes. It will come down after exposure to air, and is hard to predict where it will be inside the heated boiler. To avoid this uncertainty when estimating limescale via LSI calculations it's probably best to just use the Puckourius pHeq that matches your alkalinity value. Here's a handy table from Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ:

I just tested the chloride after the bwt besttaste

5ml sample:

x 1000 = 30 mg/l

50ml sample:

0.2 x 100 = 20 mg/l

Bestmax premium would give me (on bypass 3)
44.75 GH
26-30 KH
6.5 PH

Is it better than the profine violet?
LMWDB #691

Ciaran

#10: Post by Ciaran »

Unless BWT has altered the composition of BestProtect or the BestTaste filters recently, neither one of those is going to have an effect on pH.

Are you testing the pH before and after the filter?