AJ Antunes HRS200 vs Profine Violet big 4.5 - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#11: Post by homeburrero »

Ad-85 wrote:Bestmax premium would give me (on bypass 3)
44.75 GH
26-30 KH
6.5 PH
Is it better than the profine violet?
I can't say because I know little about that filter, but I will stick to my earlier opinion that these filters are not a good choice for your water. With those numbers you won't get limescale but that low alkalinity and pH, given your 21 ppm chloride ion does not look good.
Ad-85 wrote:I just installed the BWT BestProtect filter and it gave me 17.9 GH and 9.7 PH
As Ciaran said, that filter should not affect your alkalinity nor pH. I bet your hardness may be even a little lower than that if you were to use a more precise kit, and pH measurements can be iffy - - use your alkalinity measure as a better guide. With that filter you may have a GH in the 5-20 ppm as CaCO3 ballpark, and a KH (alkalinity) in the same 50 ppm as CaCO3 ballpark as your untreated tapwater. Good numbers to have for corrosion risk, and still won't deposit limescale. If your alkalinity is reasonable and your hardness is low you needn't worry about high pH.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Ad-85 (original poster)

#12: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

Ciaran wrote:Unless BWT has altered the composition of BestProtect or the BestTaste filters recently, neither one of those is going to have an effect on pH.

Are you testing the pH before and after the filter?
Hey Cairan

My PH meters aren't of high quality

BestProtect results

Gh 8.95
KH 53.7
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Ad-85 (original poster)

#13: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

homeburrero wrote:I can't say because I know little about that filter, but I will stick to my earlier opinion that these filters are not a good choice for your water. With those numbers you won't get limescale but that low alkalinity and pH, given your 21 ppm chloride ion does not look good.

As Ciaran said, that filter should not affect your alkalinity nor pH. I bet your hardness may be even a little lower than that if you were to use a more precise kit, and pH measurements can be iffy - - use your alkalinity measure as a better guide. With that filter you may have a GH in the 5-20 ppm as CaCO3 ballpark, and a KH (alkalinity) in the same 50 ppm as CaCO3 ballpark as your untreated tapwater. Good numbers to have for corrosion risk, and still won't deposit limescale. If your alkalinity is reasonable and your hardness is low you needn't worry about high pH.
does the open boiler in the CT2 act like the brewing boiler in other machines? I'm going to use ct2 to test my water. I haven't tested the bestprotect yet. But I drank from it and it tasted a little acidic to me.
LMWDB #691

Ad-85 (original poster)

#14: Post by Ad-85 (original poster) »

Here's my updated line specs:
TDS: 94
PH: 8.75
GH: 53.7
KH: 53.7
Chloride: 0.03x1000= 30 ppm (mg/l) [5ml sample]
Chloride: 0.2x100 = 20 ppm (mg/l) [50ml sample]

--

RO:
TDS = 5
PH = 9.07

BWT BestMax Premium:
TDS = 74
PH = 6.95
KH: 3rd drop of 8.95 was turquoise so I'm calling 3.2x8.95= 28.5
GH: probably 2.5x8.95 = 22
Chloride: 0.15x100= 15 ppm (mg/l)

BWT BestProtect
TDS = 96.7
PH = 8.67
GH = less than 1 drop 8.95
KH = 53.7

BestProtect tastes okie for espresso on the ct2. Not as tasty as bestmax but I can deal with that for the sake of the boilers. However, it tastes bad with filter coffee. Bestmax tastes a lot better for filter

I wish that bestmax would not harm the boilers but the numbers don't look good.

Thanks homeburrero & Cairan.
LMWDB #691