Advice on Water Filtration

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
pwhinson

#1: Post by pwhinson »

Finally getting around to plumbing in my synchronika. Attached is the water authority's water report. Do I need anything more than just a carbon block filter? All advice and opinions appreciated.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Yes, any filter to handle chlorine and particulates will do - that water is Seattle-like (hardness:alkalinity in the 32:23 ballpark as CaCO3 equivalents) and will need no softening. Also good that it has reasonably low chloride.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
redbone
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by redbone »

Also looking for some advice. Here is the link to water quality in my area.https://www.peelregion.ca/pw/water/qual ... report.pdf
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

okmed

#4: Post by okmed »

@Redbone

Nothing in there about quality, just quantity.

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

redbone wrote:Also looking for some advice. Here is the link to water quality in my area.https://www.peelregion.ca/pw/water/qual ... report.pdf
You'll need to start at this page: https://www.peelregion.ca/pw/water/quality/reports/ to find water quality reports for the five different regions in your area. On those reports you need to scroll down below 20 or 30 pages to get to the hard data you are interested in. It's not great news, with the exception of South Peel (Brampton, Mississauga and Bolton, which are supplied with water from Lake Ontario) the sources are very hard and many of them are loaded with chloride ion. Prudent recommendations for handling 15 - 30 mg/L or more of chloride ion is to use reverse osmosis with a remineralizing cartridge, and the Alton source over the past few years consistently runs over 50 mg/L and tops out in the 100's.

Your best bet is to phone or email your water utility
per their web page: Email water quality anytime or call 905-791-7800, ext. 4685, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
and ask them for average and range numbers for hardness, alkalinity, and chloride (make sure you are clear that you are interested in chloride and not chlorine) for tap water at your particular home address.
Pat

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

@redbone - I just now saw from your profile that you are in Mississauga, so you can check here: https://www.peelregion.ca/pw/water/qual ... h-peel.pdf

Which is not as dismal as the other areas. For that Lake Ontario water you have:
hardness: 120 - 130 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent
alkalinity: 88 - 100 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent
chloride ion: 25 - 39 mg/L (as Cl⁻ ion)
conductivity: 310 - 400 μmho/cm, (which would read 150 - 200 ppm on an inexpensive NaCl calibrated TDS meter)

That's still enough chloride to cause some people to resort to RO in a valuable espresso machine. Synesso, for example advises using RO when the chloride is above 15 mg/L.

This water would be scale prone if not softened, and at that alkalinity and chloride level it would be best to use a conventional softener (sodium or potassium ion exchange) rather than a WAC softener (decarbonizing softener, or hydrogen ion exchange softener) like the BWT bestmax or the Mavea quell. WAC softeners reduce the alkalinity and acidify the water, and in this case you are better off keeping that alkalinity up in the 80 - 100 mg/L ballpark, and keeping the pH up to help offset corrosion risk from the chloride.
Pat

redbone
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by redbone »

Pat thanks for the detailed analysis. You are correct I'm in south west Mississauga. I'm currently using a traditional salt pellet softener.

Haven't had good luck with remineralizing filters. Find that maintaining a steady of hardness output has become difficult with remineralizing filters. I've resorted to R/O water and mixing with spring water. This only works since my machines are not plumbed in. Would have to do some bypass mixing and use other filters if I ever need to go plumbed in.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549