Advice needed on vivreau bypass setting.

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Bweller

#1: Post by Bweller »

I just installed the vivreau purity c50 filter which allow you to bypass the softening part of the filter.

Using the api test kit my tap water was reading gh = 8 drops and kh = 6 drops.

With the filter set at 50% bypass I am getting test results of gh = 4 and kh = 3.

I do not own an espresso machine and only brew pourovers for now so my main goal is strictly taste. If I understand what I have been reading correctly getting the alkalinity as close to 40ppm as you can is more of a priority than your gh numbers.

Do these numbers seem ok? Am I understanding this correctly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Bweller wrote:If I understand what I have been reading correctly getting the alkalinity as close to 40ppm as you can is more of a priority than your gh numbers.
Yes, but be aware that keeping the alkalinity above 40 ppm is mostly about espresso machine health. Also, espresso tolerates a lot higher alkalinity than does pourover before it begins to dull the perceived acidity of the brew.

Bweller wrote:With the filter set at 50% bypass I am getting test results of gh = 4 and kh = 3.
That's a nice middle of the SCAA zone water. For pourover you can safely go lower or higher if you think it improves the taste. A lower bypass would make your water closer to Seattle, Oslo, Vancouver, water and might bring out some acidity. Since you have no worry about scale you can also afford trying a much higher bypass. Even at zero bypass it won't be hard like Calgary water.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Bweller (original poster)

#3: Post by Bweller (original poster) »

Thanks. I've been reading a lot of your post before my filter even came trying to educate myself.

I think Im starting to understand. Alk levels too high will buffer the acidity and too low will be corrosive to espresso machines. I'm happy if I'm in sca range since they probably know what they are taking about.

Once my next delivery from black and white comes in I'll know for sure if anything is off. I love light roasts so I'll probably prefer the lower alk levels.