Advice needed on my local tap water - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
xlabor

#11: Post by xlabor »

Thanks you a lot!

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

Switching from xlabor's very hard Hungarian water back to the czegledi's nice Swedish water ...
czegledi wrote:Unfortunately Brita does not sell the Longlast filter over here. They sell the Maxtra+ filters, which seem not to be only a charcoal filter and reduce hardness as well. If I go with the BWT Penguin pitcher, should I be worried that the water may become too corrosive?
The Maxtra+ is a charcoal filter with some ion exchange resin beads. Brita doesn't say much beyond this:
The filter material of the MAXTRA+ water filter contains a mixture of ion exchange resins and activated carbon that has been tested to food grade quality. The ion exchange resin used reduces the carbonate hardness (limescale) and reduces metals, such as copper and lead that can occur as a result of domestic installation. The activated carbon reduces substances that may impair taste, such as chlorine and chlorine compounds. "
(https://www.brita.co.uk/faq/filters-cartridges )
Since they say that it reduces carbonate hardness you can pretty much assume that it's a WAC resin that reduces both hardness and alkalinity, same as other Brita filters with ion exchange resins. The BWT Penguin also contains WAC resins so it's probably a wash between those two. Probably either would be fine, although you would want to use the Maxtra+ and not the "Maxtra+ Limescale" because the latter has more softening resin. If you have a refrigerator with a filter on the waterline that may be preferable because it would not have a softening resin and would not reduce your alkalinity, which at 50 mg/L is already about optimal.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h