Advice needed for my machine

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Whoisben

#1: Post by Whoisben »

A proud new owner of a Solis Perfetta Plus.

Am using a water filtration system so wondering whether it's safe enough or I should use the Brita Filter as recommended.

Have attached the report on the water quality.

If possible, I would like to avoid spending more (on the brita filter). Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Whoisben wrote:Am using a water filtration system so wondering whether it's safe enough or I should use the Brita Filter as recommended.
Have attached the report on the water quality.
It's not clear here, but I assume that this is an analysis of the water after going trough your filtration system. It indicates low total chlorine, which implies that you have some sort of carbon filtration in your filtering system.

That report has a total hardness number that doesn't perfectly agree with its calcium and magnesium measurements, but it is safe to say from these numbers that your water is not prone to limescale deposits and needs no softening.

As to whether it needs a 'Brita' filter I would say probably not. Brita is a brand for variety of different filters around the world so hard to say for sure, but these numbers indicate that you don't want a softening filter and probably don't need a chlorine filter.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
Whoisben (original poster)

#3: Post by Whoisben (original poster) »

Thanks for your reply!

This report is a analysis of the water after passing through the filtration system. Not from my house but I would think it's a close figure as the tap water quality is rather consistent.

The Solis machine uses a Brita Intenza+ filter in its water tank but there's an option to run the machine without the filter. So that's where I'm coming from.

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Whoisben wrote:The Solis machine uses a Brita Intenza+ filter in its water tank but there's an option to run the machine without the filter. So that's where I'm coming from.
Besides containing activated charcoal for chlorine, taste and odor, that filter has a softening resin that you do not need or want, which is most likely a WAC softening resin that reduces both hardness and alkalinity, and slightly acidifies the water for protection against limescale.

Your water treatment has already taken care of the chlorine, and your calcium hardness at about 24 mg/L* and alkalinity at about 25 mg/L indicates that you need no softening to avoid limescale. Your alkalinity is if anything on the low side of ideal, and your corrosion risk from chloride ion at 15 mg/L is high enough that you certainly want to keep every bit of the alkalinity you have to avoid corrosion risk. So I'd advise running without that filter in your case.

* Your reported calcium ion of 9.5 mg/L is equivalent to a calcium hardness of 23.75 mg/L CaCO3 equivalent
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Whoisben (original poster)

#5: Post by Whoisben (original poster) »

Thanks a lot for your advice, Pat! Much appreciated :)