10 Stage RO Water Filter (Alkaline Filter) Advice

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
jevenator

#1: Post by jevenator »

Hi all,

I have this filter and I know the using pure RO water is not good for your machine & because this has the remineralization filter I've been using this for quite a while. I've filled up my machines with TWW in the past as well and did not find a taste difference. However, the main concern is about scale.

Here is a link to the alkaline mineralizer.

It's supposed to add Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, and more. Kind of vague and I'm wondering if I could contact them for an analysis.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of system and if they have done any testing to make sure it's safe. We use this water for drinking and cooking as well. California tap water is pretty horrible.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I have something similar in my kitchen I think. You would have to test it yourself on a regular basis to determine if its within the ranges. I do agree the water tastes great.

I don't use it for my espresso though. I didn't want to deal with variable results as the cartridges wear. Hence I use my Espresso Cart System with distilled water. Basically I came to the conclusion that I could spend $3.20 every three weeks for the distilled water I use. Then I wouldn't have to do the testing and all the stress over adjusting things if it was out of range.

Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

DaveWCII

#3: Post by DaveWCII »

I have a 7 stage RO with remineralizer and the TDS is about 15-18 out of the unit. So I don't think the remineralizer is doing much. And that's from day 1. So I got some of the TWW Espresso and I dose a 1 gallon jug of RO water and add that to my espresso machine. I'm going to do that for a month & then go back to RO and see if I can tell the difference. Whichever I use, I won't worry about the effect on my machine.

jevenator (original poster)

#4: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I have something similar in my kitchen I think. You would have to test it yourself on a regular basis to determine if its within the ranges. I do agree the water tastes great.

I don't use it for my espresso though. I didn't want to deal with variable results as the cartridges wear. Hence I use my Espresso Cart System with distilled water. Basically I came to the conclusion that I could spend $3.20 every three weeks for the distilled water I use. Then I wouldn't have to do the testing and all the stress over adjusting things if it was out of range.

Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In

If I understand your post correctly you just make one batch of your espresso water using distilled water & a recipe and hold it in the 6gal water tank and just remake it every 3 weeks or so when you run out? (You're essentially plumbed in right?)

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Yes essentially plumbed in. I now have room for a 16 gallon tank and may go to that. It takes about 5-8 min to make the water. It's consistent and easy.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart