Niche Zero · Grinder User Review

Coffee and espresso equipment reviews by the site's members.
From the Team HB review of the Niche Zero:

Image Ten years ago, when we did the Titan Grinder Project, several of the commercial conical grinders, those by Macap, Fiorenzato, and Compak cost around $800. They were low volume items, used by very few cafes. Since then, a far wider choice of titan conicals and flat burr grinders have reached the market, including many single dosing models built expressly for hobbyists, but except for some outstanding manual models, the minimum price of entry remained around $1500. And then came the Niche Zero grinder.

CONCLUSION: The single dosing system is ultra convenient. The grind quality for brewing is good, but not as good as high end specialty brew grinders. It is very easy and repeatable to change grind settings. Therefore, there is no other "all in one" grinder that even comes remotely close. However it is a good deal more expensive than most budget "all in one" grinders.

For someone looking for an uncompromising, single dosing espresso grinder on a budget, this is it.

FEATURES:
  • No retained grind - Current grinders often trap large amounts of coffee in their grind chambers. As we know, ground coffee starts to go stale in a matter of seconds. So the next time you grind, your coffee is being tainted by the old trapped stale grind.
  • 63mm conical burrs - delivers a single dose of high quality grind. You can produce the right quantity of fresh grind you need for immediate use by weighing out your beans, knowing you'll get the same weight in grind.
  • Quiet - an optimal burr speed, giving you the best grind quality at a quiet 72dB
The Niche Zero Grinder's professional 63mm conical burrs are infinitely adjustable, offering you a range of grind sizes. The straight grind path goes directly into your stainless steel grind cup. It is perfect for weighing your coffee beans and easily transferring your grind to a portafilter.

Rating: ★★★★★ (5 out of 5)

another_jim
★★★★★
Reviewed on December 19th, 2020

From the review's conclusion:

* Kony conical burrs with roughly equal performance for espresso to all other titan conical grinders
* Single dosing system is ultra convenient. Compared to the Monoliths, for instance, the wider mouth, straight down spout, and 58mm catch cup make for a slightly more ergonomic experience
* Build quality is a good domestic countertop standard; sound but not to the commercial or boutique standards of higher priced grinders. I'll be using the grinder for my daily shots from now on, so check back in a couple of years for reliability.
* Grind quality for brewing is good, but not as good as high end specialty brew grinders. It is very easy and repeatable to change grind settings. Therefore, there is no other "all in one" grinder that even comes remotely close. However it is a good deal more expensive than most budget "all in one" grinders.

For someone looking for an uncompromising, single dosing espresso grinder on a budget, this is it. It will be replacing my Compak as my daily grinder.