Espro Tamper · Accessory User Review

Coffee and espresso equipment reviews by the site's members.
Image Specialty coffee's leading convex tamper delivers a subtle click that you feel at 30 lbs of force, so you know when you have the perfect force for every tamp. This ensures a flat, consistent coffee bed for the perfect shot of espresso.
  • 30 lb force actuation
  • Stainless steel base and anodized aluminum handle
  • Factory calibrated-does not require recalibration or adjustment
  • 1 lb weight
  • Assembled in USA
  • Patented
The gentle click never disrupts the grinds and the compact design is identically sized to a conventional tamper.

NB: Text copied from espro.com and image copied from a buy/sell listing as an example of an accessory item. :wink:

Rating: ★★★★ (4 out of 5)

baldheadracing
★★★★★ I don't think these are made anymore
Reviewed on December 28th, 2020

Unfortunately, this product appears to be dead in 2020. Retailers have spotty stock and Espro itself only shows three sizes still available ar the end of 2020 (49mm, 51mm, 53mm).

A majority stake in Espro was purchased by Regalware in August 2018. The takeover was completed Sept. 2020 and Espro's founder, Bruce Constantine, left at that time. Espro is just a name now.

These tampers were an early 2000's effort to simplify tamping by improving consistency. However, the aspect of tamping controlled by the Espro - pressure - is arguably the least important aspect of tamping.

While a review could talk about the fragile pressure control mechanism that broke so often that Espro used to have a separate warranty process just for the pressure mechanism (and separate instructions, and separate warning stickers, etc.), the reality is that these tampers were just one in a long line of tamping and distribution tools that were supposed to make espresso easier and/or better, but never quite fulfilled their promise.

HB
★★★☆☆ Good as a training tool, but really necessary?
Reviewed on December 21st, 2020

I collect tampers. I mean LOTS of tampers, including the Espro calibrated one. If you're concerned about tamping pressure shot-to-shot, you may find this tamper helpful. Unlike some calibrated tampers I've used that have a jarring "click" when reaching the desired pressure, this one has nice smooth bottoming out that won't disrupt the puck or disturb your Zen composure. The Espro has good heft and the machining is exceptionally good. The feel is one of absolute precision. But do you really need it? It makes a good training tool, especially for those concerned about repetitive stress. Otherwise, unless you can't stop yourself from gorilla tamping, other quality tampers are also worth consideration.