You're going to kill me but Lavazza, Illy, other canned beans? - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dominico
Team HB

#31: Post by dominico »

pcrussell50 wrote:Holy cats!!!

I paid 6.99 Euros for mine, in downtown Paris a few weeks ago. I just accepted that I was getting ripped off.

-Peter
Indeed, Illy is much more expensive in the US than in Europe. While still a pricier coffee, at least it is more reasonable. In the US it works out to something like $30 a lb, or $60 a kilo.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

pcrussell50 (original poster)

#32: Post by pcrussell50 (original poster) »

OP here...

Since I primarily roast my own third wave, "blond bandwagon" beans, randomorbit/Matte gave me an idea when he suggested finding local roasters who roast more traditional espresso... Does anyone know which Sweet Maria's coffees or blends would produce some semblance of an ILW (Illy Lavazza Whatever) traditional espresso cup? And how deep to roast it. To second crack? Through second crack?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#33: Post by Marcelnl »

just give it a go, start with some minutes after FC and run few batches until just after second and see what you like best? Seems like a nice roast and learn objective, my preference is some minutes post FC, RAO-ish and when I buy Illy (not as choice but out of a need) I mostly find the beans roasted a bit too far having lost their interesting character should they ever have had one...
LMWDP #483

Moka 1 Cup

#34: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Edit
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.