You're going to kill me but Lavazza, Illy, other canned beans? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
vit

Postby vit » Nov 19, 2018, 3:11 am

nuketopia wrote:Illy isn't bad really. The trick is that Illy says their nitrogen packed cans have a 24 month shelf life.

Illy actually doesn't say that :D For nitrogen packed beans, shelf life 6-8 months stated in the book for atmospheric pressure (small cans) and >18 months for 1bar pressure (3kg cans for bars I think). But small cans indeed have specified shelf life 2 years and bigger 3 years ...

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Nov 19, 2018, 7:13 pm

vit wrote:Illy actually doesn't say that :D For nitrogen packed beans, shelf life 6-8 months stated in the book for atmospheric pressure (small cans) and >18 months for 1bar pressure (3kg cans for bars I think). But small cans indeed have specified shelf life 2 years and bigger 3 years ...

I routinely see small cans of whole bean Illy with expiration dates 20+ months into the future!!!

Caveat Emptor.

Also, direct from the Illy website:

https://www.illy.com/en-us/shop/faq

An unopened can of illy ground coffee will remain fresh for at least two years due to illy's proprietary patented pressurized system that extracts air from the can and replaces it with inert gasses at a higher-than-atmospheric level of pressure. This method guarantees a longer preservation time, maintaining flavor and aroma for over 24 months. At the same time it 'ages' the coffee, improving its aroma over time by causing its volatile aroma compounds to bind with the oils that are contained in the beans. Simple vacuum packing cannot achieve this flavor transformation. The positive pressure exerted by illy's method actually forces these aroma compounds back into the coffee whereas vacuum packing lets them seep out. The effect of illy's aging process is similar in many ways to the development of complex flavors when a fine red wine is aged under proper conditions.

yakster

Postby yakster » Nov 19, 2018, 8:02 pm

I think that Vit is pointing out what Dr. Ernesto Illy said in his book versus what the company Illy advertises.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

espressotime

Postby espressotime » Nov 21, 2018, 3:12 am

slipchuck wrote:These can you can buy an adapter for this can and mount it in your grinder
Seen them used in Portugal https://www.amazon.com/Scuro-Roast-Whole-Coffee-6-61-Pound/dp/B0055ZU898

Randy

I have the adapter .Had it on my Major.I like Illy.Great coffee.
But those cans (small or big) are meant to be emptied in a day or two.
The first espressos from a can of Illy is always nice.Drink as much as you can that day and throw away the leftovers the next day.My advice.

espressotime

Postby espressotime » Nov 21, 2018, 3:33 am

nuketopia wrote:Illy isn't bad really. The trick is that Illy says their nitrogen packed cans have a 24 month shelf life. So - look at the expiration date and buy accordingly. When fresh, they're not bad at all. I've tried the medium roast (red label) and most of the single-origin. Other than being more expensive than what I can get from premium local roasters in the SF Bay area, not bad.

In Italy, many cafes that serve Illy coffee get the large 2 kilo cans that screw down directly on the grinder - that Illy also supplies. These cans are generally quite fresh and delivered to the shops regularly. It's a nice system and if the barista is good, they'll make good shots.

Illy is a bit roasty to my tastes, but reliable and consistent. it will go stale quickly after a can is opened, in accordance with how old the can is. Also, it cost more than what I get locally, and I like something with less roasty notes and more varietal flavors.

How long does a big can last in an italian caffe you think?
Max two days.Probably less.

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » replying to espressotime » Nov 21, 2018, 5:20 am

It's about ~300 shots (3-kilos) the way it is done in Italy, so it depends how busy they are. But yeah, a few days at most. Busy bars would go through a couple of cans a day.

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Nov 21, 2018, 6:38 pm

pcrussell50 wrote:Notfernuthin' but I have heard that Lavazzas "crema" blends contain some robusta... For it's tendency to form crema. I always thought robusta tasted like burning tires, but if it's blended and extracted right and tastes good, why not? You are not the only one I've heard of, who likes it. So now I'm curious. I want my wife to like it. I don't like that she goes to *$$.

-Peter

I've been reading this thread and trying to get to know Italian coffees for the Robot review. I just picked up a sealed 1 Kg bag of Lavazza Caffe Espresso beans, which is 100% Arabica, because I can't tolerate very much Robusta at all and recently read that there are other stimulating chemicals in coffee. I had to throw away some Lavazza Qualita Rossa for that reason. But the Lavazza Caffe Espresso has been a worthwhile purchase. I did the common sense thing of immediately freezing the beans airtight. It's very forgiving at different temperatures but I like it best as a lungo at standard brew temp of 202°F. It was mildly apricot acidic, milk chocolate and bitter almond with a gentle roasty aftertaste. Crema wasn't abundant but was adequate. I like my dark roasts a little sweeter but this was okay. So far I'm finding that it's not the best for a milk drink, even when pulled ristretto. I bought it as an Amazon Prime subscriber and was offered a first-timer discount so the 1 Kg cost less than $11 shipped. The "best by" date is May 30, 2020, so I assume it's fresh enough. The beans had slight oil on the surface, so I assume it was taken into second crack, although described as a "medium" roast.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ceoloide

Postby ceoloide » Dec 05, 2018, 8:23 am

nuketopia wrote:It's about ~300 shots (3-kilos) the way it is done in Italy, so it depends how busy they are. But yeah, a few days at most. Busy bars would go through a couple of cans a day.

Anecdotally, the cafeteria at one of Milan universities would do ~400 espresso per hour, 8am to 10am. That's roughly 6-7 espresso per minute.

The bar (cafe) in the office park area where I worked in Milan, would do a bag of 3kg per hour, 8am to 11am, then again one after lunch (1pm - 2pm).

Relatively busy cafes would consume a bag of coffe every hour or two, at max, dhring peak times.

DaveB

Postby DaveB » Dec 07, 2018, 5:57 pm

I noticed cans of Illy today at the local market, and was thinking it might be fun to try the medium roast whole bean for the heck of it. That is, until I saw the price: $16 for a 8.8 oz can!

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Dec 07, 2018, 6:27 pm

Holy cats!!!

I paid 6.99 Euros for mine, in downtown Paris a few weeks ago. I just accepted that I was getting ripped off.

-Peter
LMWDP #553