Yet another WDT tool

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
atao
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by atao »

I wanted to post this to the "ultimate WDT tool" thread but that thread is locked ...

I had been a bit unhappy with WDT recently with a single needle because of a couple of reasons. (a) I would find that I'd need to be really aggressive with stirring and i would often not get a perfectly uniform extraction. (b) i would have to redistribute the coffee mound with my finger after WDT because the top of the mound was rather uneven. YMMV, maybe your WDT skill is high enough to not need this.

I have seen some WDT tools that people have made similar to this one, but what I like about this is that the wires are the right level of springy and firm, and straight :). Now I'm getting really even extractions and I can also get the bed level enough with this so that i just WDT and tamp and pull. i.e. this has shortened my routine.

The wire I used can be purchased from McMaster-Carr for all of about $8 (plus shipping): https://www.mcmaster.com/#8908k32/=1d5jiy4
I used 0.031" and i cut them to about 3.5". You'll get about 49 extra pieces of wire that maybe can be put to good use elsewhere :).

Andrew

Prescott CR

#2: Post by Prescott CR »

Very nice.

Are you worried about scratching your baskets? I saw the Londinium distribution tool and got inspired to cut up a whisk, then bent the ends a bit. I suppose I could scratch a basket were I to be aggressive enough :)

One use I found for the extra bits of wire - S hooks for hanging kitchen utensils from a small curtain rod.
-Richard

Advertisement
atao (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by atao (original poster) »

I'm not worried about scratching the baskets, but I suppose you could file/sand down the ends a bit till they're smooth.

1yay1

#4: Post by 1yay1 »

i've been using three wooden toothpicks that i stuck in a whisky bottle cork for years. easier on the metal

Bluenoser

#5: Post by Bluenoser replying to 1yay1 »

+1 ..

yeah.. those strong pointy toothpicks would be great.. nice idea..

Freddy Camacho

#6: Post by Freddy Camacho »

Use a plier to bend into round shape (inspired by londinium wdt tool)

ShelbiRyan

#7: Post by ShelbiRyan »

I've done away with all my WDT tools.....and moved to the Lyn Weber blind shaker. Have you tried one?

Advertisement
MB

#8: Post by MB »

Since I realized my paper clip that I have been using for WDT is coated in vinyl, I decided to make a tool like one in the earlier posts. I found a cabinet pull knob that seemed like it might do with a little Dremel and drilling.

The results are a little like the War of the Worlds alien ship, especially when you turn it over this way.

LMWDP #472