Why some beans make more of a caramel flow than others?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
alexeyga

#1: Post by alexeyga »

Here's the story, I usually get my beans from one local roaster, but I'm also trying other places and beans whenever I have such chance - point being is that my beans are never older than 7 days from the roast date, and quite various. But ever since getting a naked PF, I have never really seen that caramelly, thick, heavy type of flow. I was figuring that it was my setup or humidity or whatever...

Well, up until this weekend. My sis was over and brought a bag of beans to abuse my grinder - which she did. But she also left half a hopper for me to try out. Well, to my surprise - these beans were pouring down like molasses!!! WTH?

Thing is, the only known fact about these beans - they were "fresh", no roast date, no origins, nothing... just a sealed bag of nicely-looking beans...

So.... what's the deal here?

donniedarko

#2: Post by donniedarko »

Are the beans you are getting the same variety but from different roasters? Were her beans a different variety or even a different roast? I try a lot of different varieties and have found that some beans although being very good quality just do not produce the nice thick crema in my setup no matter what combination of grind, tamp, etc and others that produce a beautiful flow almost in spite of anything I am doing.

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

Processing.

You can pull shots of a pulped natural Brazil that pour like that.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Tonefish

#4: Post by Tonefish »

Are all of these beans ground to give you about the same extraction time? For me, the thick flows come consistently when I do a preinfusion (either 30 seconds at boiler pressure or 10 seconds at 4 bar) and as fine a grind as I can use for a 30 second extraction.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

alexeyga (original poster)

#5: Post by alexeyga (original poster) »

No change to my usual routines what so ever - didn't even have to adjust the grinder.

If anything - my usual beans have been giving me hard time last few days by producing lots of micro-bursts and making a hell of a mess... so it was really hard not to notice how heavy and thick the flow from these "new" beans was.

I'm trying to find out where she's got that batch from.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Tonefish wrote:Are all of these beans ground to give you about the same extraction time? For me, the thick flows come consistently when I do a preinfusion (either 30 seconds at boiler pressure or 10 seconds at 4 bar) and as fine a grind as I can use for a 30 second extraction.
I find the same with Jim but the bean matters and the freshness matters. At some point the oils which create the flow dreams are made of will dry out, and the shot becomes less viscous.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

keno

#7: Post by keno »

Four things:
(1) Freshness - you need the right amount of rest. Which is usually around a week post roast. Too fresh and the shot will gush. Too stale and there's not enough CO2 to produce good crema.
(2) Processing - nautrals, pulled naturals, and honey processed coffees pull thicker shots than washed coffees.
(3) Roast level - roast level right around 2nd crack gives the most syrupy shot, very light and very dark roasts pull thinner bodied shots.
(4) Shot parameters - dialing in properly is important. Too fast a flow results in a thin shot. If you want a syrupy flow grind a little finer and pull more of a ristretto shot.

Advertisement
bean2friends

#8: Post by bean2friends »

And of course an espresso blend with robusta in it will really pour thick and creamy.

slipchuck

#9: Post by slipchuck »

alexeyga wrote:No change to my usual routines what so ever - didn't even have to adjust the grinder.

If anything - my usual beans have been giving me hard time last few days by producing lots of micro-bursts and making a hell of a mess... so it was really hard not to notice how heavy and thick the flow from these "new" beans was.

I'm trying to find out where she's got that batch from.
I have been roasting the same Brazilian the same way for over a year and every once in a while I get a batch that misbehaves. Darn gremlins

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

mike guy

#10: Post by mike guy »

They make for nice videos and shots, but usually they aren't the best shots imo. My first impression of a shot that looks like that is the coffee is not degassed enough and is going to have a lot of bitter and salty tastes. I think a lot of people seek out those shots because of what is posted on the internet, this sites guides included.

There are some exceptions. As mentioned any blend with Robusta will have that kind of cone. Lionshare from cafe lusso comes to mind. The roast is a bit dark for my usual preferences, but it's a really well balanced comfort flavor shot. And the extraction produces huge thick cones worthy of instagram. I would say not to worry about how viscous the shot flow is, because it's all gas bubbles and aside from mouthfeel has no real impact on the quality of the extraction.
★ Helpful