Why should you use a spouted portafilter? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
shadowfax

#21: Post by shadowfax »

Andy, Which teflon portafilter are you using? I vaguely recall the Speedster's stock portafilters being coated. Is that right? Still, it seems like Kees still makes the 'mistake' that La Marzocco does on their teflon-coated portafilters in that they don't coat the spouts so you still have to clean them just as tediously, though apparently assuming you do that I guess, magically, the metal taste goes away and is only imparted by the 'bowl' part of the portafilter? For my part, the metallic flavor isn't one I've really noticed in my drinking and I'm not too particular in my preference between naked vs. spouted. That said, I've wanted to get a CoffeeHit aftermarket 'tefloned' LM portafilter for awhile, but I haven't been willing to spend the money given the low return I'd expect. It'd sure be convenient when using the spouted portafilter, though.
Nicholas Lundgaard

zin1953

#22: Post by zin1953 »

cannonfodder wrote:It is more a mouthfeel issue for me. The spouted portafilter tends to produce a finer texture in the crema. Somewhat fluffier, more mousse like. The bottomless tends to be a bit more gassy and airy like drinking a cloud. Not as creamy as the spouted.
Agreed. I definitely prefer the taste and mouthfeel of a shot pulled using a spouted portafilter versus naked. However . . .
AndyS wrote:I didn't find a big textural difference. Part of this may be due to technique:
(1) If you run the espresso stream down the side of the cup it'll tend to collapse crema bubbles, just like a spout does.
(2) If you raise the cup on one of those special stands that supply houses sell (see photo), the espresso won't fall as far and the head of foam will be less.
That might take some of the differences away . . . I'll have to try it. All I know is that my first shot this morning was one of those that make you stop dead in your tracks and say "Wow."

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. I don't think those special stands will work for me, Andy. The drop from the grouphead on an Elektra T1 may require a beer stein! :wink:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

DJR (original poster)

#23: Post by DJR (original poster) »

You're right. The only work-around I can think of is on opposite sides of the cup a lip projecting into the cup that would keep the other person's portion from spilling down your neck. It would be pretty funny though to make a cup with just a divider and then to be polite, offer your guest the first drink....

I think this idea is going to go the way of another good one I had-- a DVD rewinder.

dan

Bert K

#24: Post by Bert K »

You can drink it with a straw, that will work...

Psyd

#25: Post by Psyd »

zin1953 wrote: The drop from the grouphead on an Elektra T1 may require a beer stein! :wink:
Mine measures nine inches from the group bell to the drip-tray, and even my longest double-spot gets the tips of the spouts no closer than six and a half inches from the drip-tray. I use an old potpourri stand for everything. EVERYTHING! Well, with the exception of the plastic to-go cups that I'll send folk of with if they can't stay to drink it here.

OTOH, the only stein I have that would hold a demitasse is about eight inches tall, so unless I'm pulling directly into the stein... ; >

I've heard tell that most folk find a stirred espresso from a naked and a spouted pull to be about the same. I'd love to get the opinions of the hallowed palates gathered in this conversation.

If you pull one naked and stir it, and pull the other one spouted, what's the difference?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

AndyS

#26: Post by AndyS »

shadowfax wrote:Andy, Which teflon portafilter are you using? I vaguely recall the Speedster's stock portafilters being coated. Is that right? Still, it seems like Kees still makes the 'mistake' that La Marzocco does on their teflon-coated portafilters in that they don't coat the spouts so you still have to clean them just as tediously, though apparently assuming you do that I guess, magically, the metal taste goes away and is only imparted by the 'bowl' part of the portafilter?
I'm using the Speedster coated pf. You are correct that the spout still presents a chrome surface.

I tried a shot again today with an old Rancilio pf and single spout. They both had the chrome about 70% worn away (from use), exposing clean brass underneath. I immediately tasted the metallic flavor. This wasn't a blind test, but I'm sure I could pick it out in a blind triangle tasting.

Nicholas, I'm not try to say this is magic. And I'm certainly not saying that I'm a fantastic taster because I can taste the brass pf while others don't seem to. I consider myself a decent taster, but for some reason I appear to be very sensitive to the metal carryover. Anyway, it seems like more of a curse than a blessing, and if the brass/chrome/whatever flavor doesn't bother you, you're not missing anything.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

cannonfodder
Team HB

#27: Post by cannonfodder »

I use a wire stand on the A3 with a spouted or bottomless portafilter. I picked it up at Bed Bath and Beyond a couple years ago. It was with their kitchen drawer organizers. Just the ticket. Gets my cups withing inches of the spouts and my ACF cappa cups have to be dipped under the spouts.

Dave Stephens

shadowfax

#28: Post by shadowfax »

AndyS wrote:Nicholas, I'm not try to say this is magic. And I'm certainly not saying that I'm a fantastic taster because I can taste the brass pf while others don't seem to. I consider myself a decent taster, but for some reason I appear to be very sensitive to the metal carryover. Anyway, it seems like more of a curse than a blessing, and if the brass/chrome/whatever flavor doesn't bother you, you're not missing anything.
Indeed, I wasn't actually questioning your tasting the metallic flavor. Perhaps the spouts don't actually impart the flavor, somehow-or perhaps they contribute a small part and coating the inside of the portafilter reduces the effect below your taste threshold or something. I understand what you mean about sensitivities, too. When I started tasting brewed paper-filtered coffee for the first time I realized I was extremely sensitive to un-rinsed or inadequately rinsed filters (that bitterish, scratchy, 'chemical' flavor), more so than most people I drink coffee with. On the other hand, I am rather insensitive to saltiness (unlike my wife); I guess I should be relieved I'm not picking up on the metal defect.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Ken Fox

#29: Post by Ken Fox »

AndyS wrote:But you know what? I've got a teflon-coated pf that I'll try next. That should help out.
Just be sure to leave your parakeet out on the deck :mrgreen:
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Paul_Pratt

#30: Post by Paul_Pratt »

I am a spouts kind of guy, not for reason of taste or body or crema but I just love watching the coffee appear and ooze down the spouts. I was slightly surprised in Anaheim SCAA to see that naked spouts are still so popular but that's probably because I need to get out more.

La Marzocco had a superb new lightweight steel portafilter with steel spouts. Not sure if it is available now or not but it should be.

I would guess that with people so into pre and post infusion these days (what with pressure whatsits) naked spouts are the order of the day so you can see what is going on.

Paul