Why should you use a spouted portafilter? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Bert K

#11: Post by Bert K »

Illyfex wrote: Finally, I think the shot is too cool as much more of the espresso is exposed to the air and the naked basket doesn't have the thermal mass of the covered bottom.
Interesting. I never thought of it this way, but it absolutely makes sense. Do you think the coffee actually warms up a little bit in the last traject?

Anyway, I don't use the single spout because it is impossible to balance the portafilter when you put it away for a moment. Never used a naked, but it is on my shortlist.:)

AndyS

#12: Post by AndyS »

Illyfex wrote:I think the shot is too cool as much more of the espresso is exposed to the air and the naked basket doesn't have the thermal mass of the covered bottom.
That would be an interesting observation -- if it were true.

My measurements this morning:
Naked shot: 160F
Spouted shot: 155F

Thermal mass doesn't help if it's hanging out in the room temperature air.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

Bert K

#13: Post by Bert K »

Haha, great! Measuring says it all.:)

AndyS

#14: Post by AndyS »

I tried shots with the bottomless vs the teflon-coated pf with single spout this morning. Since I'm way out of practice with the spouted, I found it a real PITA to use. That would change if I used it regularly, of course.

I didn't find a big textural difference. Part of this may be due to technique:
(1) If you run the espresso stream down the side of the cup it'll tend to collapse crema bubbles, just like a spout does.
(2) If you raise the cup on one of those special stands that supply houses sell (see photo), the espresso won't fall as far and the head of foam will be less.

-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

malachi

#15: Post by malachi »

That stand is really nice!!!
It is a great fit with the design of your machine.
Looks almost stock.
What's in the cup is what matters.

malachi

#16: Post by malachi »

In all seriousness.... any thoughts on flavor differences? Metallic flavors?

Here is where I get that metallic flavor:

1 - portafilters that have not had the chrome stripped.
2 - the very first shot from a clean (scrubbed) portafilter that has been stripped.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Bob_McBob

#17: Post by Bob_McBob »

AndyS wrote:That would be an interesting observation -- if it were true.

My measurements this morning:
Naked shot: 160F
Spouted shot: 155F

Thermal mass doesn't help if it's hanging out in the room temperature air.
You beat me to trying this out, and your findings are exactly the result I expected. It reminds me of the myth of heating carryover in steamed milk.
Chris

AndyS

#18: Post by AndyS »

malachi wrote:In all seriousness.... any thoughts on flavor differences? Metallic flavors?
I didn't taste the metallic flavor at all this morning using the teflon-lined pf.

Previously, I tasted it - distinctly - when using my own portafilters which appeared to have no chrome left due to use. I also tasted it - distinctly - while pulling shots at Gimme Coffee with a heavily used pf that was worn down to plain brass. I've always thought of the taste as a "brass" taste, not chrome, even as I read that you described getting rid of it by stripping the chrome off.

Anyway, I'll have to experiment more with the portafilters that I have. It would be much nicer to use the double spout pf when tasting shots with friends.
-AndyS

DJR (original poster)

#19: Post by DJR (original poster) »

If they're really good friends, maybe you can share the cup?

Maybe I'll design a cup with a wedge shaped divider down the center. You'd center it under the stream and have two portions in one cup. If anyone is seriously interested I'll make some prototypes next time I'm throwing porcelain. Actually, I'm interested now that I've thought of it. I'll make some in the next month. Handle-less to go with my new Peppina bottomless. Two o-ring shaped bands on the outside.

dan

mini

#20: Post by mini »

It seems to me that there would only be a select few designs that would still be functional. Certainly you could split the shot, but how would you drink out of the vessel? Avoiding spilling the other's shot (either onto you or into your section) while enjoying your shot would be difficult. I can only imagine one balanced (but non-symmetric) form.

... in other words, quite an interesting project.
matt