Why do I always experience two espresso streams?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
dionaeafan

#1: Post by dionaeafan »

I frequently have this issue where my bottomless portafilter shows two streams that only coalesce near the end of the shot.

Using Ceado E37S at a pretty fine grind with Linea Mini. Using tapping method to distribute than the homo solo tamper to distribute top and tamp.

The shots don't taste bad per say but I'm wondering if I can improve extraction here.

kropoffee

#2: Post by kropoffee »

You should try doing WDT with a fine needle rake (0.4mm needles are the best) and see if it helps. Just tapping isn't enough to remove clumps in your grinds. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJbQuGwNGMM.

ping279

#3: Post by ping279 »

Not sure if this will help but first thing that came to mind was that cleaning out the group head might change it. Could be that the stream coming from the machine is being slightly blocked and primarily coming out around those two spots. Seems like you are doing an ok job of tamping/distributing so it makes me think that it could be an inconsistency with the machine. I have noticed on an old machine of mine that it would start to favor one area or side of the group head if it had gotten too dirty. I'm not so familiar with your machine but I assume you can backflush to clean it out?

Sideshow

#4: Post by Sideshow »

You're getting some spritzing too. I second WDT.

Depending on your basket, drips and streams that coalesce into one center stream is normal. Especially with precision baskets like VST (don't know if you're using those). You shouldn't be aiming for picture perfect extraction appearances with those. Taste is most important, but WDT and some careful puck grooming should help based on what I'm seeing.

Eiern

#5: Post by Eiern »

I get a lot of those, even three streams all the way to the end with my VST basket. If it taste great it doesn't matter how it looks. Would probably also look normal through spouts?

I agree about working on distribution before tamp or lowering pressure to get rid of the spritzing.

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

Headspace? Better/more effective WDT and longer pre-infusion will help. Or go with a spouted PF :lol:
No Espresso = Depresso

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mgwolf »

+1 WDT

R@f@el A.

#8: Post by R@f@el A. »

I also used to often get two streams with my LMLM until I purchased the Londinium three pronged WDT tool recently. Very happy with the results.

DamianWarS

#9: Post by DamianWarS »

dionaeafan wrote:I frequently have this issue where my bottomless portafilter shows two streams that only coalesce near the end of the shot.

Using Ceado E37S at a pretty fine grind with Linea Mini. Using tapping method to distribute than the homo solo tamper to distribute top and tamp.

The shots don't taste bad per say but I'm wondering if I can improve extraction here.

video
if you have tasty shots then that's all that matters. if you're obsessed with getting that perfect flow then some puck prep like WDT will be in order. you also want to take care of the PF after you tamp. These may be beginner tips but still, things to look out for as any thumps or knocks can break the seal of the puck or crack it so don't too aggressively put it in the group. another beginner tip is to make sure your PF is heated but dry as wet baskets will wet coffee on the sides first and create side channeling but that's probably not your problem since it doesn't seem like you're getting donut shots.

Another trick is putting an Aeropress filter at the bottom of the PF basket as well as on top. the bottom one will prevent the basket holes from getting clogged (which may be the cause of your problem) and the top one will prevent early erosion at the puck so no cracks are developing or excessive channeling. the end result should be a more consistent flow (it will actually speed up the flow so you'll probably have to grind finer) but I'll bet it will clean up your double streams.

dionaeafan (original poster)

#10: Post by dionaeafan (original poster) »

Thanks @DamianWarS. Will try the Aeropress with filters