When to change temperature, when to change output?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
NickR

#1: Post by NickR »

Hi all!

I've had really good success getting espresso "good," but looking to take more control. I know that I can change grind size to get to my desired ratio in a desired time-that makes sense. I also know I have a limit on my basket (20g)-so that makes sense. That leaves me with two other variables: (1) Temperature (2) Grams "out" (in the cup).

I have struggled with the following: I will pull an espresso, say, 1:2 in 30 seconds. It will taste good, but a bit bitter. I have my temperature set to 200 and am pulling a light roast. Do I lower the temperature, or do I cut the output down? What factors do you look for to make that determination?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

A lot will depend on roast level. With good-quality lighter roasts, bitterness or astringency is often a sign of too fine a grind. A coarser grind and higher ratio (to get sour/bitter balanced) can often help.

Bitterness in darker roasts is often addressed by extracting less. These roasts tend to have roast bitterness that typically isn't found in light roasts. Not only a coarser grind, but shorter ratios, sometimes by cutting the shot short of blonding, can help.

For my tastes, I find light roasts better balanced at somewhat lower doses. My typical is 17 g with light US or Nordic roasts.

I find temperature to be a minor tweak. I usually find at least 2 C is needed to make a convincing change in flavor.