When is a shot actually "blonde"? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Theodore

#11: Post by Theodore »

another_jim wrote:Here's the simplest trick: When the vampire bites, stop.

Watch where the flow enters the crema. It will lighten gradually, but at some point it will show distinct pale spot (the "vampire's bite" if you use a double spout). This is the absolute maximum you want to run the shot.

Heather Perry is one of the best baristas on the planet, and recommends going this far. For most coffees and shot making drills, this level of blonding will produce a slightly dulled shot, and you would be bettr off cutting earlier. But it's very easy to find out when the vampire bites, and work back from there.
If some time,you could put a video,we,(I mean myself),would appreciate this.
Regards,
Theodore.
Espresso uber alles.

timo888

#12: Post by timo888 »

HB wrote: In the video above, the pucker ends around "E".
:?:

Not sure what you mean by "E". There's a seconds-counter. At what time?

Edit: I didn't even see those letters first time through -- I was concentrating on the cone.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
orwa

#13: Post by orwa »

A basic question: What is the general reason or the general observation behind the belief that the pour should stop when it blondes?

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim » replying to orwa »

Why end the shot when it blonds?

It's a rule of thumb based on experience. You've extracted most of the flavors at this point. If the you taste the blond liquid, it is mildly bitter, a sort of "taste-noise." In essence, it is a guide on how to grind. If the flow is slow, it will start very dark, and go light from there, resulting in a ristretto. If the flow is fast, it will start light, but not get lighter and go blond until one has a lungo. If you want a certain espresso volume, the right grind will send it blond at just that point.
Jim Schulman