When did this espresso extraction go blond? [slow motion video] - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.

At what point in the video did this espresso extraction go blond?

0:40
4%
0:50
31%
1:00
23%
1:10
17%
1:20
14%
1:30
10%

Total votes: 132

Jasonian

Postby Jasonian » May 16, 2008, 5:07 pm

It was somewhere around 1:13 when I hit "pause" to see the time.

So I voted 1:10.
Owner - AJ Coffee Company
HB Rocks!

TimEggers

Postby TimEggers » May 16, 2008, 5:18 pm

I voted :50 prior to reading any of the comments on this post. Sadly I'll admit that the perception of any blonding completely ruining a shot makes me shut off early. I blame the general Internet community for giving me that fear. I think all to often the impact of blonding is overstated (of course I could be wrong). In practice a little blonde flow doesn't hurt anything and in some cases can help mellow and balance out an otherwise intense aggressive shot.

Within reason of coarse.

barry

Postby barry » May 16, 2008, 7:49 pm

TimEggers wrote: In practice a little blonde flow doesn't hurt anything and in some cases can help mellow and balance out an otherwise intense aggressive shot.

Yep.

hbuchtel

Postby hbuchtel » May 17, 2008, 5:59 am

I voted for 50" 'cause that is probably where I would have stopped it. Cool to see all the recommendations for a much later cut!

Great video!

Henry
LMWDP #53

JimWright

Postby JimWright » May 17, 2008, 2:19 pm

I voted 1:20, but my initial impulse was :50 - like Tim, I think I have been negatively influenced by what I've read on the topic.

The thing is, the whole "cut off at blonding" thing seems really overblown and blend dependent unless my consistency is just not good enough to see the real picture; some of the blends I've used seem to do better cut off way early (the :50 mark here, which was my initial impulse as I was watching), but others are really fine with a long pour.