What's your steaming technique with Quickmill Vetrano 2B EVO?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SWR

#1: Post by SWR »

Hi all, just upgraded to a Vetrano 2B EVO from a QM Anita and have been experimenting with steaming milk using the 4-hole and 2-hole tips. I've read for small amounts of milk many prefer the 2-hole tip. However, I still haven't mastered the creamy smoothness of great microfoam. Chris Coffee recommends the steam tip facing directly toward you at an angle, with the pitcher remaining level, and then slightly tilting left. This seems unnatural to me after using the Anita steam wand that I just extended to the left. I'm well aware of where to place the wand tip, how long to stretch initially etc. but looking for others' tips and advice with the Vetrano vis-a-vis steam wand direction, pitcher placement etc. Thanks!

al3xx

#2: Post by al3xx »

This may help...
I have a Lucca M58, which is a rebadged version of the Vetrano 2B Evo (albeit my steam wand uses joystick instead of knobs). I have the 4-hole tip, 1/3 of the way on one side of the pitcher, halfway front/back, aerate for 1-2 seconds.

espressotime

#3: Post by espressotime »

al3xx wrote:I have a Lucca M58, which is a rebadged version of the Vetrano 2B Evo (albeit my steam wand uses joystick instead of knobs). Here's a video of my steaming milk. Hopefully it's helpful - I use have the 4-hole tip, 1/3 of the way on one side of the pitcher, halfway front/back, aerate for 1-2 seconds.
27 seconds !
Do you have extra low boiler pressure?

SWR (original poster)

#4: Post by SWR (original poster) »

Thanks William & Alex, very helpful. The guy in the William's video is pretty funny. I also liked the "troubleshooting" parts to identify when things aren't going right. I'll continue to practice to get better with the new machine and look forward to creamy microfoam soon. Part of my problem is I drink straight shots exclusively and only make milk-based drinks for the wife on weekends. Maybe I'll buy an extra 1/2 gallon of milk and just practice with it without making drinks. I've heard some folks have practiced using only water too.

al3xx

#5: Post by al3xx replying to SWR »

You don't need to waste milk to practice steaming technique. Use tap water, fill to your regular height, and then drop 1-2 drops of dish soap, then steam just as you would. You could even have cold water from your refrigerator if you want the "full experience" of steaming cold liquid.

The YouTube video is of Chris Baca, he is an owner of Cat & Cloud Coffee in Santa Cruz, CA, and a former US barista champion finalist if I remember correctly. He makes great videos and has a lot more content to teach people espresso skills.

brianl

#6: Post by brianl »

I use a similar technique as chris recommends. but when i submerge halfway through ill move it to the side of the pitcher to get a good cyclone like mix going.