What's the key criteria for stopping espresso extraction? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jovial (original poster)

#21: Post by jovial (original poster) »

Psyd wrote:Hey, I think that if you match the color from the second photo, the original might have actually looked a bit more natural. If I may, did they look a bit more like this when they were in you kitchen?
You're right, this looks more like it.
I should have said that the photos were taken with a camera-phone (not a professional camera)...
nevertheless, there's a distinctive difference between the color of this crema.... and the pale blonde crema that was extracted by the baristaguru in the earlier posted video.
DaveC wrote::lol: not very nice for the machine...but :D
well, I gave this approach a serious consideration.... I was hesitant from the beginning as to whether I should block the normal flow-rate (and put the machine under more pressure), or operate with it as intended.
the user manual states little about the expected extraction time... nevertheless, I stumbled across a note that said for the ESE pods, the machine will take 20 seconds to fill an ounce.
I never experimented with an ESE pod, but it is obvious to me that 1 ounce/20 seconds is far less than the machine's normal flow-rate..... therefore i should be entitled to expect the same behavior for the case of ground coffee.
DC wrote:Also, the shots look like your machine is running a little cool, I don't know if you do this already but I switch on the steam wand for about 20seconds, then run ~2oz of water through the grouphead before pulling the shot.

One other minor thing - those Whittards glasses you are using... I used to think that line was a 1 oz mark but it's not, it actually marks 0.75oz (23ml).
about the temperature.... this is what i usually do:
i turn-on the machine... let the orange light go off (i.e. become ready)... run 4oz of water from the group-head.... let the orange light go off again... and then pull the shots.
I experimented with the following procedure to trick the machine into using higher temperature water, but the result was a burnt tasting espresso with no crema on top.
I put the machine in steam mode... when ready, let some steam out.... turned the steam off... put the machine in pulling shots mode... and pull shots immediately....

thanks alot for the note on Whittards glasses. good to know :-)

DC

#22: Post by DC »

jovial wrote:about the temperature.... this is what i usually do:
i turn-on the machine... let the orange light go off (i.e. become ready)... run 4oz of water from the group-head.... let the orange light go off again... and then pull the shots.
I experimented with the following procedure to trick the machine into using higher temperature water, but the result was a burnt tasting espresso with no crema on top.
I put the machine in steam mode... when ready, let some steam out.... turned the steam off... put the machine in pulling shots mode... and pull shots immediately....
Think I can help a bit here. From the "Espresso Guide: Barista Technique" article:
'Single boiler home machines with non-adjustable mechanical thermostats have their par temperature at the point the thermostat turns off the heater. You can brew at a lower temperature by flushing a few seconds of water after the heater turns off; and at a higher temperature by forcing the heat back on by turning on the steam switch for a few seconds (turn it off prior to brewing)'

If you're pulling the shot immediately after turning off the steam then the water will be far too hot and that's why your coffee tastes burned. Run at least a couple of ounces of water through the brewhead after turning off the steam and before pulling the shot. It's a bit hit and miss but my results have been better with this technique than without it.

So steam-flush rather than just flush, because if all you're doing is flushing water through the brewhead your heater will only heat the water back up to the temperature it was before you switched on the pump, not any higher.

DC

PS - I don't know the name for this technique.... is this what you more experienced folk call temperature-surfing? Or is that something else? Cheers...

dliefbroer

#23: Post by dliefbroer »

I know this post is ancient...

If Jovial still has this machine and the filter, it's a pod handle.