What's the best single basket. - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Swissbariss (original poster)

#11: Post by Swissbariss (original poster) »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I ordered the "8GR. "THE SINGLE" PORTAFILTER BASKET - LA MARZOCCO". I hope it is the right one.
https://www.espressoparts.com/8gr-the-s ... a-marzocco

I'm looking forward to comparing it to the La Marzocco LM1.
Please let us know how it goes.

gr2020

#12: Post by gr2020 »

I use the La Marzocco single basket, and getting a 41mm tamper made all the difference in the world.

I bought this 41mm tamper base:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01275430I

Along with this handle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XW53KKW

There are obviously far nicer tampers available, but they're a little tricky to find in 41mm, and the ones I found were going to take a long time to ship. So, I went the cheapo route, especially since it's not an everyday use for me.

#13: Post by Swissbariss (original poster) replying to gr2020 »

How much of an improvement was the LM1 over the stock single?

I cant decide on if I should get the VST version of the LM1 or the original LM1 with the Strada logo.

Moka 1 Cup

#14: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Swissbariss wrote:Please let us know how it goes.
I received the 8g The Single from Espressoparts right away. Super fast.
I put it to work on the same evening and then ...... all the enthusiasm was gone :lol: .

OK. First day, I tried it, retried it, tried it again and again. I think I got only one good shot. Channeling or heavily channeling every time. The machine was a mess.
The day after I tried it again with the same results. After maybe ten or twelve shot I decided to put it aside until I could change coffee.
So, for the time being I am still using the LM1. Channeling with he LM1+Tidaka is practically non existent.

I need more time but I have to be in the right mood. Weekends are more appropriate for that.

By the way, before putting it aside I tried few shots with the spouted portafilter. Of course I was not able to see any issue with channeling so I am not sure how it wend on the front but the espresso was good.
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Moka 1 Cup

#15: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

gr2020 wrote:I use the La Marzocco single basket, and getting a 41mm tamper made all the difference in the world.

I bought this 41mm tamper base:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01275430I

Along with this handle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XW53KKW

There are obviously far nicer tampers available, but they're a little tricky to find in 41mm, and the ones I found were going to take a long time to ship. So, I went the cheapo route, especially since it's not an everyday use for me.
I was thinking about buying the same base but with the dynamometric handle.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XL4LREA/

But I am not sure if it would work with my Tidaka funnel due the tolerances (the internal diameter of the funnel is 41.2mm).

#16: Post by Swissbariss (original poster) »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:I received the 8g The Single from Espressoparts right away. Super fast.
I put it to work on the same evening and then ...... all the enthusiasm was gone :lol: .

OK. First day, I tried it, retried it, tried it again and again. I think I got only one good shot. Channeling or heavily channeling every time. The machine was a mess.
The day after I tried it again with the same results. After maybe ten or twelve shot I decided to put it aside until I could change coffee.
So, for the time being I am still using the LM1. Channeling with he LM1+Tidaka is practically non existent.

I need more time but I have to be in the right mood. Weekends are more appropriate for that.

By the way, before putting it aside I tried few shots with the spouted portafilter. Of course I was not able to see any issue with channeling so I am not sure how it wend on the front but the espresso was good.

Your initial results are why I am not considering this basket and is consistent with other reviews. That said, if you spend enough time with even the worst basket you will eventually get a feel for it and produce good shots. I'm getting good shots on my stock single basket but I know that there is potential for greatness in a single shot. Thanks for your observations.

mathof

#17: Post by mathof »

Swissbariss wrote: I can't decide on if I should get the VST version of the LM1 or the original LM1 with the Strada logo.
<image>
I use the Strada-logo 7g filter and achieve very satisfactory results: milder taste than with the 15g VST I use for doubles and surprisingly high EY measurements.

Moka 1 Cup

#18: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

BY the way, I am not sure if it is one of those that you mentioned because the one I have is unmarked, but if not there is potentially one more basket, the one I received with the Tidaka kit. Similar to the LM1 but not exactly the same.

You can see them side by side here:
7 gr single shot. Should I practice with a single cup or double cup filter?

gr2020

#19: Post by gr2020 »

Swissbariss wrote:How much of an improvement was the LM1 over the stock single?

I cant decide on if I should get the VST version of the LM1 or the original LM1 with the Strada logo.
Mine is just the single that came with my GS/3. The only writing on it says "la marzocco 7g", if that helps narrow down what it is exactly...

Moka 1 Cup

#20: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Swissbariss wrote:Your initial results are why I am not considering this basket and is consistent with other reviews. That said, if you spend enough time with even the worst basket you will eventually get a feel for it and produce good shots. I'm getting good shots on my stock single basket but I know that there is potential for greatness in a single shot. Thanks for your observations.
Update. I have been using the 8g The Single for the last three days. Much better, actually I like it.
I lowered the dose and adjusted the way I was tamping and it works very well.
For comparison I'm using 8.6g. With the LM1 I use 8.2g with similar results and flavor. Same grinder setting.