What transferrable knowledge can non-decent owners learn from decent?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
waves

#1: Post by waves »

I'm interested in how decent machines have changed our understanding of espresso, what can we take from that and apply it to different machines? Whether that just be a greater understanding of what is happening, to how we can use the knowledge to improve our shots on other machines.

Other machines might not have the graphs for feedback and all the technology that goes with it but we should be able to learn something from it. I don't want this to turn into a decent vs other machines discussion etc. after watching a video between Scott Rao and John Buckman today they seemed to have reached many conclusions or had theories about why certain things happened. So I'm curious what the community here has to say?

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by PIXIllate »

Ideal pre infusion flow rate is 3-4ml/sec. Exit preinfusion when you hit the 4 bar primary compression level. Anyone with a flow control and group head pressure gauge can do this.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
John49

#3: Post by John49 »

It's about constant improvement, without measurement you are not aware of subtle possible improvements. Being part of a large worldwide community will expose you to some novel ideas on this journey.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

waves wrote:I'm interested in how decent machines have changed our understanding of espresso, what can we take from that and apply it to different machines? Whether that just be a greater understanding of what is happening, to how we can use the knowledge to improve our shots on other machines. ...
I think that the machine's users have reinforced the impact of puck preparation/in-basket (re-)distribution, especially for lighter roasts.

The machine's users have also - somewhat ironically - demonstrated the superiority of lever machines' declining pressure profiles for many coffees.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann
★ Helpful

MNate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by MNate »

baldheadracing wrote: The machine's users have also - somewhat ironically - demonstrated the superiority of lever machines' declining pressure profiles for many coffees.
Haha, I was thinking this too. A lever profile is pretty much my default for what I'd call a typical Hone-Barista roast level. For lighter roasts I like some other profiles better. If you're going to stick with one range of beans it's totally great to pick a machine that does that bean well.

I'm not a brilliant Decent mind but I'd also say flow rate's impact might be an area the graphs have helped. It's hard to see the difference between 1.8ml/s and 2.2ml/s but the taste difference can be significant. Flow is the main thing I look at on the graph - I believe most of the smart scales can show you flow rate, at least through an app, can't they?

jmotzi

#6: Post by jmotzi »

I think the "Four Mother" recipes are useful for us all: Decent Espresso news
LMWDP #662

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by PIXIllate »

baldheadracing wrote:I think that the machine's users have reinforced the impact of puck preparation/in-basket (re-)distribution, especially for lighter roasts.

The machine's users have also - somewhat ironically - demonstrated the superiority of lever machines' declining pressure profiles for many coffees.
Totally agree with this. There is now data to support specific puck prep tools and methods. Also data rich validation of long standing things like declining profiles.

Generally speaking the Decent "Espresso Calculator" as I call it has been a huge boon for moving the state of the art forward in espresso. Not just for people who use a DE but for the rest of us who can learn from the experiments being done. I don't know if I'll end up with a Decent, I very well may, but I do feel like my learning curve has been accelerated by the existence of it and the blind alleys it has proved to be a waste of time.
★ Helpful

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

PIXIllate wrote:Totally agree with this. There is now data to support specific puck prep tools and methods. Also data rich validation of long standing things like declining profiles.

Generally speaking the Decent "Espresso Calculator" as I call it has been a huge boon for moving the state of the art forward in espresso. Not just for people who use a DE but for the rest of us who can learn from the experiments being done.

Sorry for the ignorant question but where can one find this data? Is it collected in one place?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

PIXIllate wrote:Totally agree with this. There is now data to support specific puck prep tools and methods. Also data rich validation of long standing things like declining profiles.

Generally speaking the Decent "Espresso Calculator" as I call it has been a huge boon for moving the state of the art forward in espresso. Not just for people who use a DE but for the rest of us who can learn from the experiments being done. I don't know if I'll end up with a Decent, I very well may, but I do feel like my learning curve has been accelerated by the existence of it and the blind alleys it has proved to be a waste of time.
A Coffee Development Kit.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272