What should I do if the brew was fine but it was a minute long

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
yalag

#1: Post by yalag »

I know some will say if it works why fix it. But I just don't know if this is really the right way to do things as most espresso recipe is around 30s.

It could also be that I don't know what I am tasting which is entirely possible as I'm newish to espresso.

According to extraction theory, I could grind coarser but in theory that would much lower the strength (given the same extraction ratio).

I'm not noticing any channeling at my current grind setting on my Oro machine.

Thoughts?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Loosen the grind and yourself a bit, enjoy the ride & the coffee. It's a journey.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jake_G
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G »

I'm with Steve.

But also, try it again and see if you can duplicate the minute-long extraction. If you can, see if you still enjoy it. Take notes. What do you like about it?

Then, loosen the grind a bit and taste that shot. See what you do or do not like about that shot. Take notes. Compare those notes to the 1 minute shot and then try the 1 minute shot again.

Taste is king. Everything else is just guidelines on how to find the taste that you prefer.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

You will never know if your coffee is good until you taste something better or worse. You will never find snything better unless you look for it.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

Jake_G wrote: Then, loosen the grind a bit and taste that shot. See what you do or do not like about that shot. Take notes. Compare those notes to the 1 minute shot and then try the 1 minute shot again.
But don't do it back to back unless you field strip your [unlisted] grinder for every shot. Even then doses vary slightly due to bean variance. And if you are not freezing or otherwise preserving your coffee in small lots, all bets are off.

Make haste slowly.

Jake_G
Team HB

#6: Post by Jake_G »

Good point!

I take for granted that my grinder retains basically nothing between ahots.
LMWDP #704