What correct dose for my basket. - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Milesy (original poster)

#31: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

Using the same grind I done a 18g shot which was my basket levelled off. I don't know i managed to get 22 in it before. Measurement must have been wrong.

This 18g tasted much better than the 16 and millions better than the 14.

I got 1.5oz but it took about 35/40 seconds.

mariobarba

#32: Post by mariobarba »

Don't worry about time too much. Taste trumps all.

mariobarba

#33: Post by mariobarba »

Oh and try not to play with the pressure so much. Play with grind and dose. Jim wrote a nice piece on adjusting those two parameters by taste. It's in the tips and tricks section, listed first, a must read.

mariobarba

#34: Post by mariobarba »

Milesy (original poster)

#35: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

I will do. Thanks.

sazerac

#36: Post by sazerac »

another_jim wrote:How many times do I need to say the same thing? If it tastes blah, grind coarser; if it tastes too sour/bitter, grind finer. Then do whatever you need to with baskets, doses and whatever to make it work.
Sorry for my confusion but I thought that sour and bitter were on opposites ends of the scale. Sour being improved by finer grind and bitter by coarser grind. What am I missing?

another_jim
Team HB

#37: Post by another_jim »

The order in which flavors extract:

In darker roasts, the caramels themselves are bitter-sweet, and an underextraction, i.e. just the sugars and acids, may work nicely. But in lighter roasts, the bitter flavors extract almost as quickly as the acids, and the only real control you have is to balance the sum of bitters and acids with sugars and caramels.

You can play a little with temperature to balance bitter and sour-- acids and sugars seemingly extract well at all the normal brew temperatures, while bitters and caramels seem to be accelerated disproportionately by higher temperatures.

But this balancing act is far less important to the actual drink. It's like adding a pinch of salt to a finished dish. Getting the balance of sweetness to everything else right is what makes the shot an espresso rather than a punch in the mouth or a yawn.
Jim Schulman