What correct dose for my basket. - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mariobarba

#21: Post by mariobarba »

You need to dose higher or get a smaller basket, as others are saying
There is too much headroom which is causing channeling in the centre of your puck (hence the sourness) increase the dose by a gram at a time until you get better results. Once you do, fine tune from there. (if you can see the imprint of the screen and screw in the spent puck you're close, try lowering by .5g then)

Milesy (original poster)

#22: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

GlennV wrote:If it's the basket that comes with the happy donkey portafilter then it's a triple. You need to dose higher or get a smaller basket, as others are saying. I suggest getting a standard Faema double - it's a lot cheaper than 250g of coffee.
Hi. Thanks. It's not happy donkey one. It's out a shop in my city. The basket holds exactly the same as the double pressurised so it can't be a triple.

Milesy (original poster)

#23: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

mariobarba wrote:There is too much headroom which is causing channeling in the centre of your puck (hence the sourness) increase the dose by a gram at a time until you get better results. Once you do, fine tune from there. (if you can see the imprint of the screen and screw in the spent puck you're close, try lowering by .5g then)
Since I brought the pressure down to normal in the classic, the puck is less wet and muddy. It also eventually expands and hits the screen with a 16g dose if I leave it long enough.

mariobarba

#24: Post by mariobarba »

Milesy wrote: if I leave it long enough.
can you elaborate on this. After you pull the shot, remove the portafilter from the group, do you see the imprint of the screen and screw? Do you see some giant worm holes in the puck?

Milesy (original poster)

#25: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

Maybe 10 minute it expands out and I get a light imprint. If I remove straight away there is still headroom. I don't get any wormholesk nownthe pressure has been turned down.

mariobarba

#26: Post by mariobarba »

You shouldn't be leaving the spent puck in there for 10 minutes, you are effectively baking all of that old coffee into your screen and group. you are probably due for a good cleaning and back flush if you habitually leave the puck in longer than a couple of minutes. mine gets left in as long as it takes me to drink the espresso :wink:

Milesy (original poster)

#27: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

Ok. I will pick up cleaning supplies this week.

The seller of my bottomless PF says it's a 14g double basket. And I have been putting 16g in. Should I reduce this weight?

mariobarba

#28: Post by mariobarba »

Not likely. I have put up to 18g in my 14g double basket, again the numbers are just a guideline.

Milesy (original poster)

#29: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

Thank you.

I tried a 14g shot and it looked and tasted lifeless and i had to stop it at 1oz.

I turned the pressure back up as the extraction looked colourless and dull as well. I done a 16g again and it was little sour but tasted much better. My brother who is not biased with the methods like me agreed it was better shot and more body to it. That pour was stopped at 1.5oz again.

If i wanted to get a similar shot but get 2oz out it how would I adjust my procedure? A little coarser and dose more?

Milesy (original poster)

#30: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

Also after these 16 gram shots with the pressure back up some more they were wetter again and the screw head from the screen touched the puck