What correct dose for my basket. - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Milesy (original poster)

#11: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:How many times do I need to say the same thing? If it tastes blah, grind coarser; if it tastes to sour/bitter, grind finer. Then do whatever you need to with baskets, doses and whatever to make it work.
Jim, my last shot was 16g and poured about 32g of liquid in 30 seconds and it was noted sour. Machine had hour heat up and shot poured at boiler heated.

If i go finer I'm going to have a tiny amount of coffee in massive basket :)

another_jim
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim »

You are drowning your shots, it's espresso, not a swimming pool -- grind finer and dose higher.
Jim Schulman

HB
Admin

#13: Post by HB »

Milesy wrote:Jim, my last shot was 16g and poured about 32g of liquid in 30 seconds and it was noted sour.
Yesterday's thread Someone please explain extraction ratios to me! may be worth reviewing since it poses the question of how much an espresso should weigh versus coffee used.
Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

How do I know for sure.
Post a pic or, perhaps, utilize the search function on this site for the term "triple basket".
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Milesy (original poster)

#15: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:You are drowning your shots, it's espresso, not a swimming pool -- grind finer and dose higher.
Going by the chart above 16g to get 32 is 50% range which is normal or am I missing something?

Thanks again :)

mitch236
Supporter ★

#16: Post by mitch236 replying to Milesy »

You are quite correct about your ratio. You can use that ratio (which is a normale). I prefer a slightly higher ratio, say 66%. For your 16g dose, that would give you 24g shot. But that's not the problem you're having. If your shot tastes sour then you are underextracting and need to grind finer. Keep the 16g dose and 32g shot if you like. Forget timing. If that still tastes sour, grind finer again. Unless you are running low brew temps you should eventually balance out the flavor.

Milesy (original poster)

#17: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

Ok I have nearly used up another 250g of my good beans here.

I have ground finer but stayed at 16g and stopped the pour at 28g but I think it probably blonded at maybe even 20g. It took 10 seconds to get a stream started then it flowed faster, the prominent tiger stripes did not last more than maybe another 10 seconds. The last 5 seconds was probably too much. If it cut it shorter it would have been 1oz.

Sourness is less but still noticeable. Only about another maybe 1.5 turns of the worm drive chokes the machine.

Grind finer again? Tamp harder? Where to now?

Many thanks again.

Milesy (original poster)

#18: Post by Milesy (original poster) »

I'm also getting ashiness that's not in these beans. Over extraction it seems in my little experience but still getting sour.

Also I don't think this is a triple basket with my naked PF. It's the same volume as my standard pressurised double that came with my gaggia classic?

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#19: Post by RapidCoffee »

Milesy wrote:Right so it might be a triple basket? How do I know for sure.
1. Contact the supplier and ask them.
2. Compare the height to a double basket. Triples are taller.
3. If a level dose is 22g, it's a triple.
John

GlennV

#20: Post by GlennV »

Milesy wrote: Grind finer again? Tamp harder? Where to now?
If it's the basket that comes with the happy donkey portafilter then it's a triple. You need to dose higher or get a smaller basket, as others are saying. I suggest getting a standard Faema double - it's a lot cheaper than 250g of coffee.