What can I do to improve my milk frothing?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
spookywagons

#1: Post by spookywagons »

Hi all,

First and foremost - I'm very well aware that this machine, Delonghi Dedica EC685, isn't the greatest. I used to make the "espresso" with one french press and forth milk with another and the kitchen always turned into a mess, so I looked up what you could achieve with a budget machine and I've seen people get some pretty good results with this machine, which is why I went with it and I'm positive the issue with the frothing is 90% me, but maybe 10% machine because it's a very cheap one.

So with that said - I've cut together a little video of me frothing milk a few times and I'd love some pointers on how to approve. I've used this machine for some time now and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a consistent technique. Sometimes I'll stop introducing air and just heat it when it looks like "wet paint", but most of these times the overall texture is too thin and it basically turns into a coffee with milk. When I actually get good tasting drinks it's usually too frothy. In the video I show 3 results. My art is horrible. I have an idea of what I want to do but I feel like with the milk I'm getting I can't really get there. I had better results with the french press technique, actually, but the dishes!

If someone could give me a few pointers I'd be so appreciative of that. And does anyone know why they turn out so bubbly?

PS: I hope I don't offend anyone with thinking I can make proper cappuccinos/lattes with this machine, but times are rough!

My video:
Thanks in advance!

//
Simon

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I feel your pain :) Machines with thermoblock pulsers for steaming are hard to use. I had several of them many years ago. Here are some things to try:
-- Pull your milk to the desired volume right at the beginning as quickly as you can, even if this means creating some larger bubbles with the wand higher up. Of course, don't create big bubbles intentionally.
-- Once you get your milk "pulled" to volume, then don't put the nozzle really low when creating your vortex. Keep it low enough so you don't pull in more air. The idea is to use break up the bigger bubbles.
-- Once you're sure you've not got any more big bubbles, then you can put your nozzle farther down. The intent here is just to heat the milk. Use a thermometer in the milk...always. Yes, I know many experienced baristas and talented amateurs may not do this, but especially when learning this is important. After all the years I've been doing this I still use my thermometer every time.
-- If the milk is for latte art get a second jug, heat it briefly with hot water or steam, and pour the finished milk back and forth between the jugs a couple of times. This will provide a more consistent foam.
-- If the milk is for dry cappuccinos, then let it stand to separate for a minute, then carefully pour the hot milk into the coffee, followed by the dry foam to float atop.
-- #1 Practice!

Bluenoser

#3: Post by Bluenoser »

my first machine was the EC685.. I did the same as you.. removed the outer wand.. I think you are doing about as good as you can with the limited steam pressure.. Your second steaming is pretty good. As Nunas suggested you can pour between jugs to get a bit more consistency. Your first result of art wasn't bad.. the second, I think, was more the pour technique than anything. Usually I find the bubbles can exist because the first part of my pour is sloppy instead of being smooth. This is the part that creates the base under the crema.. Likely you start too high and it slops as it hits the crema.. I tip the cup, and then pour from about 1 in so the stream starts into the crema and does not create any splash bubbles.. then I raise the pitcher to about 3-4 inches.. If any early milk stained, then this sinks it. Its a pretty quick move.. start low and raise quickly to create the base.. and it reduces bubbles. Then start the art pour immediately. If you wait 10 seconds between base-art you'll find your milk won't flow very well in the design. you just get a blob..

Of course, I assume you are tapping hard to eliminate any bubbles in the milk and then swirling.. before pouring.. If bubbles don't disappear when tapped, then you didn't incorporate the air long enough. When the milk gets warm, it won't accept anymore air.. so make sure you are stopped at this point

I think the art quality is just a ton of practice.. not necessarily the milk texture.. I've been 2 years and haven't got a great rosetta yet.. But you are really limited in both the quality of crema and great milk texture with that machine.. and occasionally the steam runs out and stops.. you've probably run across that all ready. I find if I start.. I start the steam to purge.. run for about 5-10 seconds.. then stop.. let it recharge a bit.. and then steam for the 30-60 seconds needed.

Urupackers

#4: Post by Urupackers »

I think that at one point you are making some good art, the heart is a good one, I think that you need to start to pour the milk at more distance that you are making in the video, here you have a video that maybe can help you a little
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5nOFirDRTo
I think that you are making many foam, maybe a litlle less can help you to control best the pour.
You are in the good way.

BuckleyT

#5: Post by BuckleyT »

+1 to Nunas -> practice!
+1 to Nunas -> practice!
+1 to Nunas -> practice!

Do what barista training courses make you do: get a gallon of 2% milk and stand there and serially froth until the milk is all gone. Then get another gallon...

A couple of refinements to the above. First, collect as many of the 2000 texts and videos about milk frothing that exist online as you can find. The replies here are all great advice. Read one text or watch one video and try that technique. Iterate on that one advice, then go on to the next one. Buy more milk.

If you run out of uses for two gallons of frothed milk, culture cheese. No...only kidding. Sort of. If your conscience or wallet cannot stand frothing gallons of milk, add a FEW drops of dish detergent to a gallon of water, chill as you would milk, and practice with that as you would with milk. It is very close to the real thing for practice. latte art into hot water as you would coffee. Try it before you disbelieve it. Adjust the amount of detergent for facsimile. Most people start out with using Too Much detergent and have to dial back.

I admire your determination. It's a learning curve.

B

bluesman

#6: Post by bluesman »

Your steaming technique looks pretty good to me given your equipment. If you're not using a cold pitcher, that may help. After drying it, put it in your freezer so it's ready for the next use when you are. Tap & swirl the pitcher before pouring. You don't show anything of your pouring method, and that may be where opportunity awaits you. The video to which Nelson provides a link is excellent and should help.

Like everyone else, I spent a few years struggling to pour great art. It's not easy and it takes both dedication and resolve. Don't give up - you're on the right track!

spookywagons (original poster)

#7: Post by spookywagons (original poster) »

Thank you all for your replies and that none of you have made fun of me for the machine I'm using and actually trying to help!

@Nunas: I did all your steps, with pulling the milk at the start, then finish heating it up and then going back and forth between jugs to get rid of some of that foam/bubbles. I've only made two lattes/cappucinos(not sure what to define them as, I thought latte but someone said it's usually closer to a cappuccino when making them at home like I am) since but both times I did feel a bit of consistency already. So thank you for that! Much appreciated.

@Bluenoser: thanks for your input! I tried the pouring technique, although I started a little higher up than 1 inch and I feel like that made a difference already. Even though the milk may not have been great I did get some decent results. I already knew I should go a little higher, but for some reason it's something I've forgotten with time, maybe because my focus has been on failing at frothing the milk well. And yeah, I've noticed the limitations with the machine for sure... but it's still more convenient than the french press mess! Thanks again :-)

@Urupackers: Thank you for the encouragement! I tried pouring at a longer distance and it really helped! I'll definitely check out the video :-) Thanks!

@BuckleyT: There's no end to practicing, I know that, but I've actually done a lot of practice since I got the machine about a year ago. Also tried the dish detergent method as well as a few others to try to improve, but I've never really found that consistency, that's what's brought me here. But thank you for your message as well and I totally agree that practice makes perfect so I'll keep at it!

@Bluesman: I'll try that! There is one part in the video where I show my pouring actually, around 3:08 in the video. But thank you for your encouragement and I'll definitely keep at it! You've definitely made some good progress judging by the picture!

Thanks again all! I appreciate it :-)

GC7

#8: Post by GC7 »

I believe it was bluenoser who first posted the video below. It was a game changeer for me and perhaps the best "coffee science and technique video" I've seen. I hope it helps you too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... 5nOFirDRTo

PS edit- As a lifelong avid golfer I can emphatically say that practice, practice, practice is great but if you're practicing poor swing mechanics you are only ingraining bad habits. See if the video helps you to practice productively.

iploya

#9: Post by iploya »

You're holding the pitcher a little too low and pumping way too much air in as a result. Listen to the video from around 0:25 to 0:45. That aggressive psst...psst...psst... should only happen for a few seconds and not 20+ seconds. You can see toward the end of the video how much puffed up air the milk has, very foamy instead of a constant, thicker-density micro-foam. When you first hear the psst...psst...bring the pitcher up just enough to dip the wand a little deeper into the milk to stop that sound. And once you feel the slightest bit of warmth from the pitcher, there should be no more air injection. The excessive air is why your art has no delineation between white and dark and is solid white and foamy.

Bluenoser

#10: Post by Bluenoser »

GC7 wrote: PS edit- As a lifelong avid golfer I can emphatically say that practice, practice, practice is great but if you're practicing poor swing mechanics you are only ingraining bad habits. See if the video helps you to practice productively.
Grin.. as a hockey coach, I always drilled .. "practice makes permanent' (not perfect).. to stress the technical aspect of learning..