Wet sticky puck

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
FreDDo

#1: Post by FreDDo »

Hi,
I have tried to play on one factor at a time, and have now (grind size, dose, ratio) which are close to OK.

Ratio 1:2, which I am aiming at;
Dose: 17G (filter indicates 14G-18G)
Grind: quite fine on my machine (#3/10 on a Lelit PL72)
Taste: quite OK, although some whitish disks on crema.

PROBLEM : My puck is wet, sticks to both shower grid and to the portafilter. When I try to get it off, some of it stays stuck in the filter. It is not totally muddy, but not good.

I guess, better tamping could do something, but not sure. In which direction could I go to improve the situation?

Thanks for your help,
Sorry for approximate English :)

Best
Fred

********* Lelit PL92T + Lelit PL72 + non-pro filter (the one sold with the machine, IMS-Lelit *********
Fred: Lelit PL92T + PL72

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Pucks are compost.

If you want drier pucks grind coarser and use more coffee. Taste may suffer.

Jonastheorganist

#3: Post by Jonastheorganist »

Try to lower the dose by 1-1.5g. More headspace might help.

FreDDo (original poster)

#4: Post by FreDDo (original poster) »

Thanks Jonastheorganist,
I have tried with less coffee, but then flow is to high, I get 1:5 in 23'

PS. How do you reply to someone specifically here? Or mention so? Thx

FreDDo (original poster)

#5: Post by FreDDo (original poster) »

Thanks Ian,
Do you suggest that wet puck is not a problem? at least not a proof of something going wrong? All videos by pros show perfectly dry pucks, one block, perfect form...

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

No threading or @mentions available.

Wet pucks, by themselves, are not a sign on extraction problems. By the time a puck is "soupy", it is after the extraction is over.

The suggested basket fill is just a suggestion. Many things, especially the roast level, will impact how tall a puck is for a given weight. Dark roasts tend to be less dense than lighter roast.

It may be worthwhile doing a quick test to see how much headspace you have. An easy way to do that is to tamp the puck and then put a coin that is about 2 mm thick on top of it. If you lock the puck and the coin leaves a heavy indent, you probably have too much coffee in the basket. If it does not leave an indent, it is possible that you could add more coffee. You don't have to fill the basket as fully as you can to get good tasting coffee.

espressoren

#7: Post by espressoren »

FreDDo wrote:Thanks Ian,
Do you suggest that wet puck is not a problem? at least not a proof of something going wrong? All videos by pros show perfectly dry pucks, one block, perfect form...
Worth noting that influencers post the best of the best in videos. They aren't going to use a coffee that doesn't latte art well, or grinds too fine for clean pucks, etc for their instagram reel. You don't know how many shots it took to get that perfect knock out.

Often people get too caught up in the aesthetics. Looks can be an indicator of issues but not necessarily.

Mess is one thing. Some coffees allow for a coarser grind and tend to produce drier pucks. Some people just use puck screens or paper filters to reduce mess, or other small tweaks may help but each machine and coffee will be different.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#8: Post by RapidCoffee »

Jonastheorganist wrote:Try to lower the dose by 1-1.5g. More headspace might help.
You've got this backwards: more headspace => soupier puck.
FreDDo wrote:I have tried with less coffee, but then flow is to high, I get 1:5 in 23'
To maintain a similar extraction, you need to grind finer when you reduce the dose. Likewise, grind coarser when you increase the dose.
John

Midway

#9: Post by Midway »

FreDDo wrote:Thanks Jonastheorganist,
I have tried with less coffee, but then flow is to high, I get 1:5 in 23'

PS. How do you reply to someone specifically here? Or mention so? Thx
Use the " on the top bar of the post you want to reply to.

randytsuch

#10: Post by randytsuch »

I put a piece of paper on top of my puck to keep my screen clean

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805526702578.html

I don't think it has any effect on the shot, at least I don't notice a difference.

Since I started using my Gaggia Classic again, I noticed my pucks tend to be soupy.

Randy