Wet sticky puck - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Nunas »

FreDDo wrote:<snip>PS. How do you reply to someone specifically here? Or mention so? Thx
If you want to send a private message to an individual, on the right side of the screen, click on their alias. Their profile will appear. At the bottom of the profile, click on the contact balloon. That will lead you to the private message page, where you can send them a note via H-B "email". Cela semble compliqué, mais cela maintient chacune de nos adresses e-mail réelles cachées.

cafeIKE

#12: Post by cafeIKE »

FreDDo wrote:Thanks Ian,
Do you suggest that wet puck is not a problem? at least not a proof of something going wrong? All videos by pros show perfectly dry pucks, one block, perfect form...
As Abraham Lincoln once said "Fully half of everything on the internet is flat out wrong!" Mercifully, I started drinking espresso long before Al Gore invented the internet. [TIAD: he didn't]

Dose and grind for a particular coffee to achieve the best results in the cup. ARRÊT COMPLET.

These two articles are must reads Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste and Mano Lite: A Short Guide to Dialing in Espresso SOs and Blends. Both by Jim Schulman [another_jim]. Ignore his advice at your own peril.

If a particular coffee is making too big mess [singles are especially notorious for sticking to the group], place a metal puck screen atop the puck. IMO, lack of headspace is a root cause of many a barista's frustration.

JordanK
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JordanK »

Pro tip from James Hoffman: After your shot, run water through the group and portafilter again for a few seconds (1-3 sec is sufficient). Then immediately remove portafilter and the puck will tap out cleanly every time with almost no grounds whatsoever left behind.

Works like a charm for me, but without doing it I never get clean puck "ejection, " even with paper underneath and metal screen on top (although those do help). I also tend to be a bit lazy and leave the spent puck in the group while I enjoy my coffee. That tends to dry it out, and also make it stick to the portafilter, but the Hoffman trick works flawlessly for me.

cafeIKE

#14: Post by cafeIKE »

JordanK wrote:After your shot, run water through the group and portafilter again for a few seconds (1-3 sec is sufficient). Then immediately remove portafilter and the puck will tap out cleanly every time with almost no grounds whatsoever left behind.
That won't always work with zero headspace and fine grind: there may still be coffee attached to the screen

It's possible to stall an e61 thermosyphon group with a short flush. The temperature will drop into the 160°'s

JordanK
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JordanK »

cafeIKE wrote: It's possible to stall an e61 thermosyphon group with a short flush. The temperature will drop into the 160°'s
Didn't realize that! Good to know. How short is short enough to cause that?

cafeIKE

#16: Post by cafeIKE »

Shorter than long enough to not cause it. 8)

It's possible that it is machine specific. It's a couple of decades ago that I discovered it and I'd guess I was flushing 1-2 seconds.

FWIW, I turn on the pump, scrub the shower screen and pf lock channel for a few [≈3] seconds and kill the pump. Then I put in the blind basket and PF wiggle for a second or two, finally locking in and then stop the pump. Keeps the group head 'clean' and the exhaust clear.

Deluxe68

#17: Post by Deluxe68 »

I just bought a QM Silvano and the pucks are always very wet. Once in a while there is water puddling on to and once in a while it is much drier. But nothing gets them as dry as I used to get on my old E-61 Alex Izzo. Funny that 20 years ago dry pucks were the standard, now that machines have changed the dry pucks do not matter. What irritates me is that I passed on a $300 cheaper Profitec Go because a few reviewers mentioned soupy pucks, not one reviewer mentioned the same issue with the QM.

cafeIKE

#18: Post by cafeIKE »

Pucks have always been compost. As long as the shot is great, who cares whether you have pour or chisel it out?