Wet, glunky pucks

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
aeroplane

#1: Post by aeroplane »

I have a new machine, (S1 v2) and I can't seem to get a good, solid puck after extraction. The top is wet and gooey, and when the puck hits the bonk-box, it falls apart into many pieces, not resembling a 'puck' at all. The pucks are 'glunky' (Yes, it's a new word, but onomatopoeia demands it -- the pucks glunk out of the PF...)

I haven't changed my technique from my previous machines, and trying to fine tune it (tamp presure, fluff the grinds, dose less, dose more, etc...) isn't making much difference either.

The espresso tastes decent to pretty good, however...

I'm scratching my head. Help please!
LMWDP #82

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Grinding coarser and adding more coffee to the basket generally makes for more impressive pucks.

The same is not always true of the espresso.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
woodchuck

#3: Post by woodchuck »

Aeroplan, I have an S1 VII and have learned to live with wet pucks but good espresso. I'm not sure what makes the S1 have more of a propensity to deliver wet pucks but it happens. I do find that my pucks themselves tend to hold together pretty well. The water just tends to sit on the top of the puck. The S1 cafe at http://www.rimpo.org has had a few threads on this subject.

Cheers

Ian

lsf

#4: Post by lsf »

The same thing happens to me as well since I changed from a rocky to a super jolly. With Rocky I was getting nice solid puck but with the mazzer, the pucks break into many parts. This, however, doesn't seem to affect the taste. I haven't figured out what could be the reason for this since I haven't changed anything in my technique when I did the upgrade...

Any explanations ?

Wescott

#5: Post by Wescott »

In my experience too the Vivaldi delivers good results from a wet puck. Sometimes they are drier, but rarely do they fall out in a clean piece. But the coffee is doing what it should. Exception because of the depth of the 53mm basket? Maybe. Could also be the way the pump attacks the puck. I suspect that, if you like the coffee, then pursuing the elimination of the wet puck may be counterproductive.

Niko

#6: Post by Niko »

It also depends on the grind setting, the deeper PF has a lot to do with this as water takes a while longer to travel down there. I've had excellent shots with muddy pucks and not-so-good ones with dry ones, I wouldn't judge a puck by its cover... :?
I don't get muddy pucks often but I've seen it on a couple of other S1's. You'll get this more often if you mostly pull Ristrettos.

Did you see this on Rimpo's S1 site?: http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=26

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

What exactly is supposed to be wrong with wet, gunky pucks? The more space between the top of the puck and the shower screen, the wetter it's going to be. It has absolutely nothing to do with shot quality. Now, a mostly dry puck shows you are having big problems.
Jim Schulman

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
TimEggers

#8: Post by TimEggers » replying to another_jim »

Agreed. "Puckology" is really a silly endeavor.
Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
LMWDP #202

Niko

#9: Post by Niko »

What the puck is going on around here?!
:lol: sorry, couldn't help myself :D

You can break a window with some of my pucks.

aeroplane (original poster)

#10: Post by aeroplane (original poster) »

Thanks for all the responses!

All three of my previous machines would leave a solid puck. This one dosen't. Because it was different I assumed it was wrong.

I will judge by what's in the cup, not in the bonkbox.
LMWDP #82