Wet, glunky pucks - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
aeroplane (original poster)

#11: Post by aeroplane (original poster) »

To Jim, woodchuck, Wescott and Niko --

How much space should there be between the shower and the bed? I have been filling the double basket to about 1mm under the clip ridge, and that has been leaving the faintest impression of the bolt in the puck.

Too much? Too little? Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

Jim
LMWDP #82

cafeIKE

#12: Post by cafeIKE »

aeroplane wrote:I will judge by what's in the cup, not in the bonkbox.
aeroplane wrote:To Jim, woodchuck, Wescott and Niko --

How much space should there be between the shower and the bed? I have been filling the double basket to about 1mm under the clip ridge, and that has been leaving the faintest impression of the bolt in the puck.

Too much? Too little? Any advice will be appreciated, thanks!

Jim
:?: :?: :?:

Niko

#13: Post by Niko »

It depends on the type of blend or S.O. bean for me. I always go by weight (between 15.5 - 16.5 grams) and I usually try to not updose the S1's. It's usually around 2mm below the basket ridge for me where the bolt leaves a very slight impression.

Randy G.

#14: Post by Randy G. »

aeroplane wrote:.........The espresso tastes decent to pretty good, however...
VERY few of us taste the pucks so it is hard to comment... :wink:

As others have stated, taste the espresso and don't worry about the puck- headspace and the efficiency of the 3-way affect the amount of moisture left on the puck. If the thought of wet pucks is bothersome, think of it this way- dry pucks are caused by over-heated brewheads and brew water that is too hot... that is not true, but it is a point of view, no?

In my limited experiences, dry pucks were the rule with the Silvia and Rocky but wet pucks are the rule with Vibiemme Domobar Super and the same Rocky. But the espresso is noticeably better and more consistently so with the Vibiemme.

And really, I always taste the espresso, and, in opposition to the rumors, I never taste the pucks.

Back in '68 I saw the Sloppy Pucks open for the Airplane... The colors, dude... the c o l o r s .... :shock:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

woodchuck

#15: Post by woodchuck »

Aeroplane, much like Niko, I dose until the bolt leaves a slight impression on the puck. Any more than that and the coffeee will channel like crazy around the bolt head. I have been thinking about shaving down the bolt head a bit further to give me a bit more room to pack more coffee but haven't tried it yet.

Cheers

Ian

Niko

#16: Post by Niko »

Ian,
I was going to try that also.
Some time ago I placed a parts order and the spare bolts were out of stock. I still plan on grinding one down but not without a spare kicking around.

You mean to tell me that you guys don't taste the pucks :shock:
How d'ya know if the shot extracted correctly if you don't get the full effect?
:lol:
Randy G. wrote: Back in '68 I saw the Sloppy Pucks open for the Airplane... The colors, dude... the c o l o r s .... :shock:
Duuuuuude!