Weird grinder/extraction issue

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
kwongheng

#1: Post by kwongheng »

Hi all,

I seem to have a strange issue with this particular bean, but also I have seen the same issue occurring with my grinder before, but these 2 weeks its getting weird. The numbers below are the number of shots that I pulled in succession. I pulled at least 2-3 times on the same grind settings to ensure that the flow rate is not due to technique issue

grinder = Baratza preciso
machine = Expobar Leva (brew 10-11 bars, recommeded by the vendor not to adjust)
Beans = Single origin espresso roast
20 grams in, 40 grams out

1-3: 1D, 29s
4-5: 1B, 25s
6-7: 1C, 21s
8-9: (back to) 1D, 18s!!! (8 bars)
10: (try going very fine) 0I, 18s!!

To explain above, I pulled the first 3 shots at grind setting of 1D at 29s. I then set a finer grind at 1B, pulled 2 shots, but the timing was 25s instead!. Then I went coarser one notch to 1C and it was 21s. When I went back to the original settings at 1D on the 8th pull, it was now timing at 18s instead and the brew pressure dropped to 8 bars. The last try was to go really fine but the timing is 18s instead, probably channeling because I ran out of beans by then.

Anyone seen such results before? Any advise?

kwongheng (original poster)

#2: Post by kwongheng (original poster) »

No hope for me? Lolz

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

New espresso grinder....

JustGettingStarted

#4: Post by JustGettingStarted »

You doing anything weird with your tamping technique (smackin the side with the tamper, etc...)? Check out a guide on technique and see if you're making any big mistakes.

Otherwise, maybe your grinder need some servicing.

Also you can try keeping everything the same and switching beans.

Change one variable at a time till it works again.

davebm

#5: Post by davebm »

I previously tried to use the Baratza Preciso grinder for espresso. It does not seem to be able to grind fine enough, for me anyway, I dose 15g baskets. its great for plunger and pour over but it will never give you the depth you need for espresso type coffees. Just my opinion :oops:

kwongheng (original poster)

#6: Post by kwongheng (original poster) »

davebm wrote:I previously tried to use the Baratza Preciso grinder for espresso. It does not seem to be able to grind fine enough, for me anyway, I dose 15g baskets. its great for plunger and pour over but it will never give you the depth you need for espresso type coffees. Just my opinion
Davebm.. I am starting to think the same! :cry:
JustGettingStarted wrote:You doing anything weird with your tamping technique (smackin the side with the tamper, etc...)? Check out a guide on technique and see if you're making any big mistakes.

Otherwise, maybe your grinder need some servicing.

Also you can try keeping everything the same and switching beans.

Change one variable at a time till it works again.
I am sure I am not doing weird legacy tamping techniques! lolz, Furthermore, I have trained with an SCAE Barista foundation cert! :shock:

This is why I pulled the shot with the same grind twice. If my technique is varying and not consistent, I should get different timings for the same grind size, but this is not so, I am getting the same flow rate with the same grind size.

But I agree with you, I could be getting beans that don't work with this grinder. I try beans that I am familiar with next week and see if what happens. Also I disassembled the grinder and calibrated it to a finer grind, hopefully this don't screw up the grinding

JustGettingStarted

#7: Post by JustGettingStarted »

Sounds like you know more than I do <3